A renter with a pool!

jonandmel

Jun 16, 2019
Baton Rouge, LA
Hello!

New to the site.

I'll be moving to a rental house in a couple of weeks. It has a pool that has been empty for a couple of years. The owner filled the pool (and left a bunch of debris in the bottom) and had a pool guy stop by to power everything up and "toss in some chlorine." I'm told the pool is somewhere around 12,000 gallons - it is free form. I don't know much but I can tell you:

• there is a ccg320 Pentair with cartridge filters. They haven't been replaced or cleaned to my knowledge.
  • there is an inline chlorine device (sorry - not sure what this is really called!). It appears to be empty
  • there is not robot, etc
  • the pool guy told me to order Aquacheck strips
  • I'm on my own - I'll be caring for the pool myself. Fun!
  • I've done my best to remove most of the debris from the pool with a net.
Happy that I'm not "truly" on my own, but have this site. I'm reading the ABC's on this site, but didn't know if there is something I should do right away to attempt to keep things from getting "out of control!"

Wish I would have found this site about a week ago before the start up!

Thanks in advance for the guidance!

PS - I'd like to add a SWG once I get things stabilized. Just FYI

Welcome! The first thing you should do is order a good test kit, either TF-100 or Taylor-2006(c). That will be your primary toll in maintaining an sparkly clean pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the filter media is compromised or the end caps are deteriorating. Or if the pressure does not drop after cleaning.

The TSP will remove the oils (suntan lotion, body lotion, body oils, etc) from the filter media.

If they’re right, you can add 30 ppm of stabilizer in a sock method and then bring chlorine up to 3-4ppm as others have mentioned (liquid chlorine only).

But you might want to wait for the kit before adding the CYA just in case their test was wrong. Chlorine can go in now in any case.

In a previous post you said stabilizer was added. Either it was not enough to read (less than 20 ppm) or the pool store test was wrong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.