A.O. Smith Century Centurion replacement w Hayward VSP?

jeffr47

Bronze Supporter
Oct 19, 2018
Rockville, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
I’m looking to replace our old Century Centurion 1081 (1.0 HP/1.25 SF) with a VSP. The Hayward SP2303VSP or the Pentair 342001 SuperFlo look like promising replacements, especially with a $400 rebate from our power company.

Opinions?

Jeff,

Either should work fine.. that said, I am a Pentair kind of guy so that is the one I would go with the SuperFlo.

The Pentair SuperFlo VS is a great little pump as long as you do not have an automation system..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: jeffr47
Oh, should also mention other details: the pool is 24000g, VA-52 DE filter. The Intermatic controlling the pump is dead, so a newer filter with integrated timer would avoid that replacement cost as well.

Jeff,

Maybe..

It appears that you have a booster pump.. The pump has no way to control your booster pump, so you will either have to get another timer, or move into this century and buy a robot... :mrgreen:

Jim R.

We definitely want a robot, but will probably wait until next season if possible. We've just finished a complete pool reno, not to mention moving into a new house, in the last twelve months. Finances are strained.

There is a separate Intermatic for the Polaris. Does that help in any way?

Your separate Polaris timer will work great.. You would set up a schedule in the VS pump and make sure the Polaris timer is just set to run inside the pump run times..

Just as an example... Set pump to run from 7am until 7pm... then set the Polaris timer to run say 10 am until 1 pm.. You just need to make sure the pump and the Polaris timer stay synced to the same time, if you have a power failure or ???

Thanks,

Jim R.

As long as the system is full of water, the booster will probably still work. It will pull in water from the returns and the suction.

Booster pumps are not self priming. So, if the system has any air, the booster can lose prime and overheat.

Try to avoid running the booster without the main pump running.

It looks a little like the Hayward has more automation potential, which right now isn't a big deal but thinking about the future might be useful. I'm leaning that way on the recommendation of a neighbor (Also on this site).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm with Jim on this, superflo is a great reliable pump. Im usually hesitant on Hayward variable speeds due to a high failure rate on their variable drives.(this is a known issue in the repair world)

In my opinion, flow meters are never a bad idea.

As far as winterizing valves go, I will leave that to the gents in colder climates as I am from a hot area where we never winterize.
but the pump should have winterizing plugs in the strainer pot.

Jeff,

Why do you believe that you need a flow meter.. I can't think of a single thing that a flow meter would do for me other than increase my filter pressure.

Like Frank, I am not up on winterizing a pool... I will say that the SuperFlo comes with unions, so removing the pump for the winter will be a snap.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.