a little to much M-Acid

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

I added a little too much muratic acid and lowered the pH to about 6.8. Never did that before in 2 yrs, but was wondering would it cause any harm short-term? Should I had 2lbs of backing soda? I ran the scuppers for about 20 minutes and adding water too.

My pH has been going from low to high pretty quickly lately. We've had a lot of rain, and big drops too w the t-storms..so both neutral water and agitating it, I know its raised pH on a consistent basis.

Thank you for your advise, tstex

TA? If high it will resolve itself with your aeration. Do it now so your low pH does not harm your heater core.

Take care.

I just added 2 lbs of baking soda that I fully dissolved in a 5 gal bucket and tossed in, then turned my pump on high speed - we have a spillover spa too, so aeration there as well.

my TA was 80 about 3 weeks ago, but have continually been adding m-acid bc of the continued daily rains. The storms were quick and heavily [.5" to 1.75"] and the drops were big. almost every day or other day for 7-10 days.

My water temp is about 85-86 degrees and pH was probably about 7.8 before adding m-acid. Is any potential damage to heater coil upon immediate impact or is it prolonged and if the heater is used?

I'll test pH again here in 20-30 min's

At the pH you would had have it would be prolonged exposure for any damage. The water goes through it whether is on or off. So that does not matter.

Take care.

I just added 2 lbs of baking soda that I fully dissolved in a 5 gal bucket and tossed in, then turned my pump on high speed - we have a spillover spa too, so aeration there as well.

my TA was 80 about 3 weeks ago, but have continually been adding m-acid bc of the continued daily rains. The storms were quick and heavily [.5" to 1.75"] and the drops were big. almost every day or other day for 7-10 days.

My water temp is about 85-86 degrees and pH was probably about 7.8 before adding m-acid. Is any potential damage to heater coil upon immediate impact or is it prolonged and if the heater is used?

I'll test pH again here in 20-30 min's
It would have been best to raise pH with Borax or Soda Ash. Baking soda will raise the TA more than the pH.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/139-recommended-pool-chemicals

well, good news...I ran the scuppers and pump at high, raised water level by 3/4 to 1" and added 2lbs of liquid baking soda and pH is almost in the 7.2 range...Thank you for your help on this matter - tstex

well, good news...I ran the scuppers and pump at high, raised water level by 3/4 to 1" and added 2lbs of liquid baking soda and pH is almost in the 7.2 range...Thank you for your help on this matter - tstex

Tstex, just curious what your TA is now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.