A green pool...

Simmer

Aug 25, 2016
FLORIDA KEYS
I wasn't able to test the water for a month and we had a bunch of swim parties. Now I work 6 days a week and the pool turned green. My local pool guy was like. " I brushed your pool and put 1 gallon of chlorine and a bag of salt into your pool, that should fix it"

Yeah right buddy! it was worse the next day. I just dumped 4 gallons of bleach into it and its starting to clear up. I will test it in the morning.

I don't think my salt cell works well either. It was always reading 15-20 volts and now its 1-5 volts on boost. doesn't seem right. Pool is at 40,000 hrs and my autopilot is kinda pixelated now, but I can still read it.

I assume I keep pouring bleach into it and replace the salt cell, i should be good?

I shot from the hip, but I will do a formal test tomorrow.

I cleaned the filter than put 4 gallons of bleach in the pool and I woke up the next day and it was blue and cloudy. I was shocked and happy to see the results, especially since it was dark green. I brushed the pool this morning and put another 2 gallons in the pool and it seemed to make it even more blue, but still slightly cloudy.

Tomorrow after work I will clean the filter and brush the pool again. I will test and go from there to restoring the specs. I have two gallons left and Im not scared to use them.

4 gallons of 8.25% bleach would add about 51ppm FC to your 6600 gallon pool.

Each 128oz of bleach will raise FC about 13ppm.

Last edited:
Just a note, most all of the common jugs of bleach are only 121 oz 7 oz short of a full gallon, be sure to input that into the pool calculator.
That is correct, but OP did state gallons.

I did make a mistake in my math though, 512oz (4-gal) would add 51ppm FC to 6600 gal, not 56ppm.

This works out to about 10oz of 8.25% for every 1ppm of FC.

Tested today. Had some very minor algae, but 95% of pool blue.

FC: 1
CC: 1
TC: 2

PH: 7.2
TA: 70
CH: 120
CYA: n/a
salt: 3700

orderd a new salt cell, mine wouldn't go above 1V, which isnt right. 15-20V on regular
You really need a proper CYA result to know if you are maintaining a sanitary pool. There is no acceptable level of algae, and a CC of 1ppm coupled with visible algae are the signs that the water could/has become susceptible to bacteria/pathogens.

While algae in a pool is simply a nuisance, it is a warning sign that your sanitation levels are dangerously low. You can compare the algae to a canary that has died in a coal mine, it is a sign that the environment is becoming dangerous for your health and well being. As the algae blooms, it will consume more and more chlorine as it is oxidized.

Keep brushing the algae spots, get a proper CYA test result and adjust your FC accordingly.

If you SLAM the pool now, it should go relatively quick.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Today: sunday 11/13

FC 5
CC: .5
Ph 7.6

Water is blue but cloudy. I ordered another SWG RC 35/22 to see if that helps. it had 41000 hrs on it. Also raised CH around 50ppm and ordered a huge bottle of CYA.
I have a couple of questions.

What is it that you hope the new cell will help you with?

How do you know you need more CYA? Did you test for it but not post the results?

How did you get a CC of .5ppm using a DPD only test?

If you have visible algae you really should SLAM the pool. The new cell will most likely have issues keeping up with the FC demand of the algae, and it will not be the cell's fault as they are designed to maintain a clean pool.

Also, you don't want your CYA above 30-40ppm if SLAMming. Don't add any right now unless you are below 30ppm.

Please post a complete set of test results:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.