A Better Alternative Than Sand?

This came up about a year ago. If you read through this thread the company tried to convince our users that it was the new sliced white bread, but it appears no one was buying it.

Anyone ever tried the new instead of sand ?

The final conclusion form most folks was that the filter is designed to use sand, and sand doesn't wear out. These need to be replaced as they wear out

Yeah, I thought the company spokesperson was going to send JoyfulNoise some independent test data to review but unsure if that went anywhere.

My opinion is simply that if you don't want a sand filter then get a cartridge filter or DE filter.

What's better than sand it never needs to be changed and always works like it's brand new. The sand will out last the filter housing.

I actually had no idea the sand didn't need to be changed! I bought the house last year and just assumed it needed changed, even though i was able to keep the water clear the entire season with no issues. My main reason for wanting to switch to these is b/c I was getting some minor sand in the bottom of the pool, and from what i researched that meant one of those black tubes in the Filter was cracked?

I actually had no idea the sand didn't need to be changed! I bought the house last year and just assumed it needed changed, even though i was able to keep the water clear the entire season with no issues. My main reason for wanting to switch to these is b/c I was getting some minor sand in the bottom of the pool, and from what i researched that meant one of those black tubes in the Filter was cracked?
A cracked lateral doesn't = sand wearing out. Sand is millions of years old, the only people trying to convince you that it needs to be changed are the folks who want to charge you $400 to change it or someone who claims to have improved on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.