Baking Soda Harming Plaster

Jun 27, 2015
Austin
Hi all,
I'm new to the trouble free pool community. We just completed a pool renovation and have never had a pool before so I'm certain I'll have lots of questions. My first is regarding baking soda stains to new plaster. Our pool builder came by yesterday to pick up his final check as everything had been completed, we'd lived with the pool for a week, and all was well. I was testing the pool water when he drove up and I showed him that the ph level was low. He said no problem, I've got some baking soda I can throw in. So he did just that, directly into the pool without the pump running. We have a medium french grey plaster which was beautiful until this morning, and is now stained everywhere where the soda settled on the bottom of the pool. I've put a call and an email into him, but 1. have never had much luck getting a response from him on a weekend. 2. he has his final check. So we're a little concerned that he won't address this problem. Does anyone have any advice regarding this? My brief research tells me that he should not have put it in without the pump running, and ideally should have mixed it in a bucket of pool water before adding. Please tell me our brand new grey plaster is not ruined (but I guess I need to know if it is!)
Thanks for any input!

Are you sure it was baking soda? Baking soda raises the alkalinity but not the pH. To raise pH you can add either Borax or Soda Ash.

You can sprinkle and spread the baking soda powder over the water in the deep end, and of course I'd brush it to help it move and dissolve. Soda Ash and Borax is recommended to be pre-dissolved in a bucket of water.

I have never seen baking soda cause any type of stain. It's one of the least likely chemicals to cause a problem. I suspect that there's something else going on. Can you post a full set of test results? Did they do an acid startup?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.