Intex SWG

Thanks Jason. We made adjustments and things are back on track so far. PH is back where it should be and the SWG was adjusted to 50% of the running time we had - I left the pool uncovered to sunlight yesterday as well so that we could burn off some of the FC. We keep that thing covered up and then cool weather on top of that must really make a difference in how much FC dissapates? No bio Crud landing in there and no sunlight, cooler water = less chlorine use I guess? Anyway...thanks for the help.

Hope to get that SWG set just right soon - it probably will get a workout this weekend as we are expecting 90s to near 100 through next Wednesday. I'm guessing every friend and/or relative with a towel will show up on our doorstep - bring em on and I'll fire up the barbeque too - thats what the pool is for!!

Does anyone know how big of a pool this Cholrine generator can handle and still be efficent as well as the lifespan, I'm currently using it on a small 15x48 Intex pool but I plan on moving on to a more permanent above ground pool next season, in the 18x52 or larger range and would like to still be able to use the Intex generator if possible, it has been working great for the small intex pool and only needs to be ran 3-4 hours per day to keep my chlorine levels good but how will it react to a larger pump with higher water flow, I am currently using it with a 2500 g/h Intex pump and it seems fine but I am worried that if I use it with a larger pump the cell may be to small to flow enough water and be a restriction causing the pressure to be to high, If anyone is using it on a non-Intex pool how has it been working for you, how big is your pool and what size pump are you using, ant info would be great, thanks.

Nick

Check out my posts above, you will see that I have a fair sized AG pool - 18'x33' at 52" high - we have a 1.5hp pump on ours and it appears to be handling the job just fine.

I think the big trick with these SWG units is to be sure that you have everything balanced, 3ppm FC, salt dissolved at 2500-3000ppm and all set BEFORE you add the Intex SWG so that it is just maintaining the levels. I don't know if it would be great at bringing a pool from zero FC or worse (lots of algae) up to Zero CC and the required 3-5ppm FC.

It has done a very good job for us for about a month on our big pool.

The run times listed are not written in stone on those. It states we need to run 12hrs for a pool our size and we have held our FC almost perfect with a range between 3-5hrs (more when the water temps got high, less when its cool)

NWMNMom: Does this come with a timer or do you just attach it to a separate timer? After a week of lugging bleach (and one ruined shirt) for my Baq. conversion I am really interested in getting this! It's on sale now for $144 at Cabelas.

Thats where I got mine! Good price too. I has a timer on it so when you set it, e.g, to run for 4hrs, it will do so then shut off and turn on again 24hrs from when you first set it to run 4 hrs again. If it loses power, you have to reset it.

Make SURE that your salt, PH and FC levels are set right BEFORE you turn it on. It should run and maintain your FC levels trouble free from there on out. Its simple to hook up but you HAVE to be sure your fittings and hoses are securely connected. (firsthand knowledge of hose blowouts on both sides of this unit)

You may need to adjust your running time depending on different conditions - more swimmers, warmer water temps, maybe storm dropped some junk into the pool. You can always supplement with a splash or two of chlorine too as needed instead of adjusting the run time. The instructions call for 12hr run time on my sized pool but we have been able to maintain FC levels really well at around 4hrs. Make sure your runtime coordinates with your pump timer or it will error and beep like ever (low flow warning) - I'm happy with ours! A lot less dumping stuff in and way less empty jugs stacking up.

In my experience, the run times suggested are longer than necessary. Trying to cover all of the bases I suppose. Of course, you will have to figure out what is going to work with your pool. The timer is not very flexible, and you do have to reset it after a power loss. I operate mine for 1 hour in the morning and 2 hours in the evening and maintain a fc of 3-3.5 ppm. 100 F heat for the last 2 weeks. Water temp 90 F. :( CYA is around 35 ppm and the pool is mostly shaded except for 3-4 hours in the morning.

The max run time suggested is 12 hours per day.

Sounds excellent! Unfortunately, Cabelas says it is backordered. I haven't been able to find it in stock anywhere else except direct through Intex for $200.

Still searching, but I might go through with the order at Cabelas and see what happens.

They actually told me it was backordered too and loe and behold, it was shipped and arrived 4 days later! I had been prepared to wait until it came in and just continue to use bleach until I got it. I think if they get one or two in, they ship them out according to the first come first served people who ordered.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I actually keep my salt levels 2000-3000 in that range. You will get a low salt error if it drops below 2000. Safest to keep at around 2500 though. I always keep one extra bag on hand for any time case I have to top off a foot or two of water (bad joke based on a bad day or two or three) but I do keep some on hand. It does NOT come with salt test strips in the box, just the regular test strips for FC, PH, etc which I don't use anyway being I have the drops kit. You will need to get salt strips. BTW, I would recommend getting the salt in and dissolved WELL before getting this unit attached. I won't hurt anything to have salt in the water without a SWG, in fact we had salt in our pool 2 yrs before we got a SWG. It makes the water feel GOOD.

I keep my CYA at 40-50ppm

Cabela's finally shipped my order! It should be here Tuesday. I am ready for it... of course it would have been nice to have it before I leave for my trip instead of the day I get back. Oh well...

BTW, I overshot my goal on the salt since I ASSumed my salt would be zero to start and didn't bother testing first. I bought 5 bags which would have brought me to 2500 ppm according to the Pool Calculator. Decided to test after adding only 3 bags and was already at 3200 ppm!

Anyway, these are in stock now at Cabelas if anyone else is interested.

I'm so bummed! We went to connect this tonight and the fittings won't work with our equipment. I'm sure we could get it to work with another adaptor, but they are out of stock on the Intex site and not expected in for 2 weeks!

Does anyone who has one of these want to sell me the adaptor of you aren't using it? It's the Adaptor A with threaded collar, referred to as part number 05CG-11 in the manual.

Or if you have any suggestions for hooking this up to our equipment with standard 1½" plumbing...

We went to Lowes and bought adapters and rubber fittings for all of ours. It all works fine NOW that we got the right ones - we didn't have correct fittings to begin with and kept blowing hoses (remember my rant?) If you look at what they give you or bring it with to the store, they plumbing people should be able to help you find the right one.

BTW, I love this SWG - it works great. The only problem we have encountered is when we have a power outage it has to be reset (Grrrr - lots of thunderstorms lately) We have found that we don't have to run it nearly as long as it recommends but then we have it covered when not swimming and I keep debris out too.

The pump and swg will be drained, properly winterized (I silicone lube the pump parts, dry, etc) and stored in my garage - it is partially heated but not always. The hoses are removed, drained and the filter drained, covered with a tarp for the winter. Solar panels removed, drained and stored in a sealed grain bin. The only thing I bring IN to heated areas are the liquid chemicals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.