No Chlorine in pool

Too late jblizzle, next time, thanks for the tip!

So here we go:

FC 8.0 ppm going back up to 12 ppm 2 qts 1 cup bleach
CC 0.2
pH 7.2
TA 90 guess it will remain?
CH 180 ppm adding another pound of cal chlor
CYA tomorrow
temp 78

Wow 8:00 AM and the pool is clear like glass :D, but I found after testing the water that the chlorine fell from 12 ppm to 3 ppm:(, so the slamming process goes on. Here are some of my concerns at this point.

Visible algae began to form on pool bottom over night so I added chlorine, brushed the pool, and cleaned the filters.

I am adding cal chlor slowly to raise the calcium hardness to at least 250. Calculator recommends 5 lbs 11 oz. Don't want to do it all at once.

CYA seem to be below 30 now. I am nervous about adding any stabilizer to the pool so I am doing it slowly also. Right now I am using 28 as a target number and the calculator is recommending 3.3 oz of stabilizer so I'm reluctant to put in that much I'll try half and retest.

Stats:

FC 3.0 ppm Slammed to 12.0 ppm will check again in 1 hour
CC 0.5 using 10 ml sample
pH 7.2
TA 90
CH 200 Want to increase to at least 250 am slowly adding cal chlor and taking readings.
CYA 30 (less than) I can't read lower than 30 with the test. I still see the black dot.
Temp 76

Just did my second SLAM and brushed the pool. I'll clean the filter around 3:00 pm.

Soloman, just to be clear, have you read through the SLAM procedure? Its not a one or two time spike in your chlorine, you will need to bring the FC up to shock level for your CYA and maintain it there until you pass the three criteria for completing the SLAM. You should be bringing your FC up to shock level and checking/adding bleach as frequently as possible to maintain the shock level. Every two hours or so if possible.

Also, my pool is roughly the same size as yours and I typically go through 1-2 quarts of 12.5% bleach per day. More if my bather load is high.

Task, you are very observant. I slipped overnight, but I am right back on it today. I've been adding chlorine since this morning and checking it every 2 hours as you pointed out. Keeping the level up at 12 ppm. Thank you!

I know I'm not through it yet, but am glad to see that two of the criteria are met. I got clear water for the first time in a long time, and the CC is running at 0.2 ppm. Working on the OCLT test.

Last edited:
I know I'm not through it yet, but am glad to see that two of the criteria are met. I got clear water for the first time in a long time, and the CC is running at 0.2 ppm. Working on the OCLT test.

It usually seems like the OCLT is the last to complete. Glad you are staying on top of it and good to hear your water is looking better. Shouldn't be too much longer until you are finished.

Good morning it's 5:30 AM and I hope everyone had a great 4th of July celebration. I couldn't wait to get my results this morning. Last night at 11:30 PM I checked my chlorine level and read 11 ppm at 10 ml and little to no CC. So I added 3 cups of bleach and went to bed. This morning I went out early and this is what it told me.

My stats:

FC 12 ppm at 10 ml (No kidding)
CC 0.2 (if that)
pH 7.7 (went up? didn't see that coming)
TA 90 ppm
CH 200 ppm
CYA ~30 (Hesitant to adjust)
Temp 75

So then I cleaned the filters

This is what they looked like yesterday before I cleaned them:

And this is what they looked like this morning before I cleaned them:

Yes, they came out looking almost clean. I wish I had taken a picture at the first go around. They were really filthy.

Next, I brushed the pool and added 3 cups of bleach just out of spite! I think I passed the OCLT test, however I still see algae in corners around the steps where I need to get up close and personal. Anyway I'll keep brushing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK. So here is my diclaimer. I'm telling you this so that you don't make the same mistakes that I did.

I've had my pool for five years. It wasn't until last year that I became aware of CYA, its purpose, and its effect. Up until then I was lucky. I didn't have a problem for the first three years, did what the pool people recommended, and thought all wa normal. But last year I started having algae problems. And that is when I became aware of CYA. I was told by the pool store, I don't want to slander anyone, that I needed to drain 50% of my water because my cyanuric acid level was up around 120 ppm.

They were right, but at the same time they were also the cause. All pool stores and the chemicals they sell. I'm not going to mention any one in particular because you know their names. They all sell pretty much the same stuff and, according to them, it's a higher grade than what you would anywhere else. Which is true to a point, but in the end they all add cyanuric acid to your pool.

I started buying the 3" tri-chlor tabs at a local wholesaler because they were cheeper. And aren't we all. They were also more dangerous because their effective chlorine was 85%, CYA 10%, and other stuff 5%. This contrasts the pool stores 90% chlorine, 9% CYA, and 1% other stuff. When they come down to it they both do the same damage. Adding CYA.

So I learned that CYA doesn't go away and only accumulates over time. But since it was toward the end of the season I figured I would drain the pool this year if it was necessary. I knew it would because CYA doesn't go down only up. Closed pool at CYA level 120 ppm.

Opened pool this season and much to my suprise, my CYA was reading 10 ppm. Much to my delight I thought that people really don't know what they are talking about. If CYA never goes down, how did this happen?

So I plowed ahead, starting up the pump, adding Chlorine tabs, and thinking I was the luckiest guy in the world cause my pool proved the all the experts wrong. CYA does go down! Right?

Wrong. Through this website I learned that CYA converts to amonia over time and that is what it did in my pool. Cyanuric acid levels were low and I had no idea that amonia was present in my pool. So similar to high CYA, preventing chlorine from being effective, cyanuric acid converts to amonia, the amonia combines with the chlorine being introduced into the system and creates chlorine lock, which renders the chlorine ineffective.

I was pumping chlorine into the pool water, but couldn't read any chlorine. I had plenty of combined chlorine, but no free chlorine. No I didn't superchlorinate because everything looked good at startup. My cyanuric acid levels started to rise quickly and in a couple of weeks went from 10 ppm to 120 ppm again.

My water turned a disgusting green very quickly and this is where the mistakes began to perpetuate.

I had already begun to watch videos on clearing up the pool water using liquid bleach or liquid chlorine. Since liquid chlorine was much stronger, 12% vs. 6%, off to the pool store I went. I had a plan. I forget at this point, I think I already drained and refilled the pool, regardless, I got the CYA level down from 120 ppm to 70 ppm.

At the pool store I told the sales clerk what I was doing and the condition of my pool. I was not 100% confident with the information that I had regarding clearing algae or in my ability to do it. I mentioned to the clerk that it may take me a week or so to get the pool clear and that is when I was derailed. He told me he could get me clear of algae in about 3 days without too much effort. I know he has a reputation as a knowledgeable guy and has been working for the store for about 20 years, and I listened to him, and he talked me into changing my strategy and buying his solution.

So I bought the blue colored crystal concaution for about $35.00 and 6 bottles of liquid shoch for about $30.00 and I did what he told me to do. It worked. It cleared my pool, but it didn't solve my problem, which is why I am telling you this.

My CYA continued to rise, up to 88 ppm, and algae began to come back. I went back to the pool store and they checked my water telling me I had phosphates in my water and he tried to sell me more product to remove the phosphates. He said they were equivalent to algae food. Everything costs $30.00 and at that point I stoped.

I went home, got on TFP, drained the pool, got the CYA down to about 30, got the Taylor K-2006 test kit, and started slamming. Save yourself $100.00 and don't listen to the pool guy. He's just gonna sell you stuff and perpetuate your porblem. Take matters into you own hands, take control of your pool, get the cyanuric acid levels down between 30 - 50 ppm, and I'm going to donate.

I am very pleased!

jblizzle, Thanks. If I did it wrong, I did the best I could with the time that I have. I just tested the chlorine and am at 10 ppm currently it's 12:00 noon. I am going to keep it at 12 ppm for the rest of the day unless you advise otherwise. If I am wrong please advise. I'm only human. Otherwise thank you very much.

To add to what jblizzle said and FYI...an OCLT is actually pretty technical in that there should be no estimating or guessing. When the time comes that you think your SLAM may be complete (usually not until you are 100% clear and sparkling) you are going to do the OCLT to find out if you're done killing anything that was hiding in the water.

When the sun goes down you'd test your chlorine one last time. (Wait 30 minutes if you just added chlorine) In the morning before the sun comes up you'll test the chlorine again. If your loss is less than 1FC you pass.

It's important to test after dark (make sure it's at least 30 minutes after your last chlorine addition) and very important to test before sunrise.

The main reason for us to point this out is because if you only guess you could end up thinking you pass and stopping your SLAM too early which would cause you to go back downhill and lose your progress. No one wants that!

Example: "I added enough chlorine to get to 10 (but didn't test after to make sure) and in the morning around 10am it was 9. So I think I passed." <-- in an example like this, without testing *after* the addition they don't know if they actually reached 10 or if maybe they overshot and went to 12. That would mean they lost 3FC overnight and didn't pass the OCLT.

Without one last test, you don't know for sure and the OCLT is about knowing for sure.

Important stuff! :)

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

We want your SLAM to be successful. :)

Beens and jblizzle, you're right, I added 3 cups of bleach and went to bed. I didn't test the water afterward. I assumed the 3 cups of bleach would raise the level to 12 PPM as per pool math. It may have gone to 13 ppm I don't know. I tested the water this morning at 5:30 am, before the sun came up, and I read 12 ppm. I appreciate the elaboration. Thank you.

Sparkling I am. Define clear? Visible Algae?

attachment.php

After refill

attachment.php

Today:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.