Thermowell Issue

Jun 15, 2008
S.E. Wisconsin
Here's the situation, my spa is going to be about 30 ft. from where my Spa pack and controls will be. The problem is the cord for the temp. bulb is only about 6 ft. long. This means that my thermowell and temp sensor will be 30 ft. from the spa in part of the plumbing. I don't think this is going to work because when the pump is off the water in the pipes won't be the same temp as the ones in the spa.

The way I see it I have three options...
1. Run the pump on Low all the time. I don't really want to do this because it's unnecessary to run two pumps in the hot tub at the same time. In the spring, summer and fall I'll already be running the main filter pump with solar to heat the spa.
2. Put the thermowell in the plumbing directly behind one of the inlets, or drill a new hole in the side of the spa for it. This seems like the best option, but I'd have to extend the wire 30 ft. and I don't know if this will make the bulb inaccurate.
3. Run a new seperate 1/2" PVC line to the equip. pad(not a problem because I have plenty from another project) with it's own small pump and put the thermowell in this line. This pump would be small(1/10HP or less)so it's electricity use would be insignifigant and it would constantly circulate water over the bulb.
I'm thinking a pump like this: Pump, or like this: Second Pump

Adam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.