Low PH Help

Jun 18, 2015
Arlington, WA
Hello, I amay new here and also a new pool owner! I have an above ground pool...15ft round by 36in depth, it is a "Summer Escapes" easy up pool. I noticed that the chlorine level kept falling below .5 so I shocked it with "hth Ultra complete shock treatment", it says to put 1- 16oz bag per 5,000 gallons of water and since I believe mine is 3,000 gallons I only put in 1/2 the bag. I ran my filter overnight and when I checked ithe in the morning the chlorine was super high above the 5 mark on my hth 6 way test kit and my PH level was super low around the 6.8 level on my tester kit! The pH level has been around the 7.5-7.6 mark since I put the pool up 2 weeks ago, now since I shocked it the pH is extremely low. Last night the chlorine level was almost non existent again & the pH level looked lower than 6.8! I need some help please. I am new to this and I just want my kids safe! Thank you so much!

Hello Miss Laci, and welcome to TFP! We'd be happy to help you get on-track. But let's go over a few important starters:
- Water testing. The proper test kit is everything. Why? Because we've all learned (from personal experience) you cannot reply on pool store tests, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They don't read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. Please see the TF-100 link below.
- Avoid the pool store for testing, advice, or products. You simply won’t get the advice/service you deserve and you will waste money on products your pool doesn’t need. Do not add anything to your pool other than what is advocated by the TFP site or its experts. You’ll have a happier pool, spend less time maintaining your pool, and probably save some $$ in the process. The following are short articles from this site that you will see linked in my signature below: Pool School, Recommended Levels (for YOUR pool), PoolMath Calculator, SLAM, and the Chlorine/CYA Chart.

So really that's the #1 starting point - the proper test kit. Now if you reply and tell me you did ti with a TF-100 or Taylor K2006, I will feel silly :), but I didn't see that info above. Also, if you haven’t done so already, please verify that all of your pool information is accurate and/or loaded in your “signature” which can be accessed in your TFP profile. That information is valuable to TFP readers as they try to assist you. If you have any more questions, just re-post to this thread or ask. TFP’ers are always eager to assist. Have a great swimming season! Get back with us and let us help you!

Hi there Miss Laci!

I bet your kids LOVE that pool! I know I love mine! Let's get your set up the right way!

Step one find TFP-DONE!

Step two-ask questions-DONE!

Step three-order good test kit-almost done I hope!

You will LOVE being able to test your water and KNOWING your kids are safe!

Let us know when your test kit comes in and we can walk you through them!

Kim

They both will work BUT the TF-100 is more bang for the buck. You WILL end up having to order extra stuff and paying more in the end if you get the one you posted.

Save yourself so time and effort and get the TF-100.

Kim

Here's a comparison of those test kits:

Pool School - Test Kits Compared

The TF-100 and k-2006 are almost the same. You get more reagents with the tf100 it's a better overall value. The k-2006 and tf 100 will both test your pool exactly the same. But if you have the k-2006 you'll be ordering testing chemicals sooner. If you keep your test kit out of temperature swings and direct sunlight they can last for a couple of swim seasons. I keep mine in laundry room in the basement and they stay nice a chilled. Plus, I grab a water sample in a bottle and come inside to do my testing at the sink. It's just easier. You may consider a Speedstir too they're indispensable IMO.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.