New build in Concord, NC

I wondered about the metal in the concrete as well. We had a large concrete pour a little over a year ago and the crew did put rebar in to support it - but it was also a 6" thick pour that we were planning to drive heavy commercial vehicles over.

For this job- the crew tamped the base well and the concrete mixture from the plant has fiberglass fibers in it. From what I understand that is used to strengthen if metal is not used. They also dug out piers around the outer edges of the deck - digging down thru fill dirt to "solid ground" - every 18-24" and filled that solid with concrete.

I wondered about it as well and questioned my husband about it. I guess they also take into consideration our type of soil here? One of the things I love about this forum is all the different approaches and methods of construction considering there are people from all across the country.

We are very happy so far...ask me again in a year or two! ;)

Sara

Hi! No, I kinda just got lazy and we have been loving our pool! :)

I will get back to it today and update. Thank you for checking in!

Oh man, I DID get lazy! But this will be fun to go back and remember all the excitement - and will be an "instant" build to read now! :)

So after they finished up the deck pour the project sat for a couple days. I really enjoyed just sitting on the new deck (of course when the crew said it was ok to do so) and having coffee, or lunch, or frosty adult beverages. :)

I work from home and had been home for EVERY aspect of the project - didn't miss a thing...until this day...and this is what happened:

When I got home that evening I was just heartbroken. I couldn't believe that the supply company had delivered all this product - it's the vermiculite and I think some concrete mix for the bottom of the pool - and left it sitting like this on my BRAND NEW DECK! It gouged ugly little places in the days-old concrete and just made us disgusted. Especially since there was TONS of room on the ground - it's not like we are cramped...

So I took a few deep breaths and emailed all these photos (plus more) to our builder. By this time it was very late at night and I really didn't expect to hear anything until the next day. Nope! Within minutes he had emailed me back assuring me he would get to the bottom of it.

The next day - first thing - I got a call from him asking me what I wanted to compensate for the damage. Now honestly - these places ended up being pretty small, but they are u-g-l-y!! And we paid a lot of extra money for a lot of concrete!! So he told the supply company they would need to take care of it and they are going to do spray deck in the next couple weeks! I was very impressed with how quickly he dealt with this and feel that he was more than fair in taking care of us.

More to come!

So that brings us to 8-30-15:

I wasn't here for most of this day either, but here's a couple photos of the vermiculite:

Our son and his buddies helped them out a lot!

Now they're just wishing for water:

And here's one of the twins walking around in the deep end:

And that brings us to 8-31-15:

Liner is in!

This is the pattern we chose:

And here it is in the pool:

The first drops of water going in to fill her up:

And here's Bill (builder) getting ready to make that scary cut at the steps! Glad it wasn't me!!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
9-1-15

So we didn't want to leave our hose on all night - we trucked in the water anyway...but this was around 7am before the first load of water came:

And here's the water truck getting it done quick! I think this must have been at least the 2nd load - maybe the 3rd...

Funny/reassuring story:
When the water truck came I chatted with the driver as it was filling. As the water was creeping into the shallow end the driver said "Huh, that never happens..." And I looked at him, wide-eyed and said "oh no, what never happens!!??!!" And he said, "It's actually level!" Made me do a little happy dance, and this was the look on Bill's (the builder) face:

I just have to brag on them - this pool is perfectly level! They did an awesome job.

Wow! They really did a nice job! It's so hard to get things perfectly level too so they have to really work hard and have skill. Glad they did such an awesome job! That liner is so pretty! I bet it feels great on your feet. Not looking forward to that part of pebble. Lol. Now where are the cannon ball and all finished pics?! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First cannonballs! :)

Kendall (our son) in the red suit with a couple of his friends:

This was the best day. We were so excited to finally get to swim! We had been thinking about a pool for a couple years and once we met with this builder I felt great about it.

The next day the spa was delivered:

We have enjoyed that year round. So nice to relax and the end of the day and look up at the stars...

This is one of my favorite photos of the water:

Even in yucky weather I love to look at it!

And we all lived happily ever after! :kim:

What a great ending! That came out great! LOVE how your PB took care of you with the deck! What awesome cust. service!

LOVE the liner color! Do the kids get in every day?

:kim:

Thank you! �� We really love it. Yes, kids are in every day. Adults too!

The twins were still swimming in November and started back on March 11! Tooooooo cold for the rest of us but I enjoy watching the girls have so much fun.

Thank you for sharing!! What a gorgeous pool and such happy kiddos!! I so enjoyed reading your build and I felt your pain with your concrete-that stuff is NOT CHEAP!!! I'm happy it all turned out well!! Blessings!!

Thank you for sharing!! What a gorgeous pool and such happy kiddos!! I so enjoyed reading your build and I felt your pain with your concrete-that stuff is NOT CHEAP!!! I'm happy it all turned out well!! Blessings!!

Thank you! We really love it. The deck should be finished up in the next several weeks. It would be done already if I could have made up my mind about the color!! Such hard decisions and of course right now they are covered up with new construction. I don't mind waiting a bit - at least we are swimming! :swim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.