NEW pool user/normal if filter is turning brown?

The link in post 14 shows the recommended sequestrants.
Although once you add the sequestrant, the water may clear up, but that also means that the iron will not be filtered out any more and will stay in the water.

And those wild CYA readings are exactly why you need that TF-100 to arrive.

What did you use to "shock" the pool? If the main ingredient was Calcium hypochlorite then you added calcium to the pool, which would show up on the calcium or hardness test. If you added dichlor then it would raise the CYA level.

It is likely the water is high in iron. That will give the water a yellow cast which when combined with the blue pool liner gives the illusion of clear green water. High FC levels may give the water a brown tint as the iron precipitates out.

Can you list the ingredients in the stain and scale solution you added to the pool?

We saw no change so we emptied the whole pool and are going to start over:( So now we are going to use chlorine tablets. So to do this right what sequence do I do first and with what chemicals. The pool place said they detected no iron or copper, we are on city water.

Well that make no sense at all. If you fill from the same source, you will have metals in the water again. The salt had nothing to do with the color of the water. And the fact that you could see it meant it was getting filtered out.

You are going back to square one and then heading down the wrong path if you think the chlorine tablets are going to be cheaper and easier.

Clearly the pool store testing was wrong. :hammer:

im new at this, trial and error i guess. This time as long as we do everything else right we will know that it is the iron for sure. thanks for your help! Is there somewhere on here that states what chemicals for opening a new pool from the start not from like last yr?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
looking at Hayward EC40AC Perflex Extended-Cycle D.E. Pool Filter and do i need to buy the pump as well? we have just a cartridge filter, doesnt do the job. We are in a neighborhood with lots of dirt in air due to construction. New to this sorry if the questions sound stupid. I want something that is going to filter the dirt out better than this filter cartridge that came with it. I dont want sand filter.

Oops, didn't realize you had the intex cartridge filter. Thought you had sand already. We definitely agree that you should upgrade from the Intex cartridge filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.