Pool Light

Jun 16, 2015
Zeeland, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I purchased a house last year that has an inground pool with a light. The light leaks and had been disconnected. What is the best way to either seal the light or remove it completely? I'm concerned that water is just sitting in there and contaminating the rest of the pool with algae. Since it isn't hooked up and I will never use it I would be fine with just removing it.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Best way and easiest way won't be the same. Easiest is to remove the light fixture and just leave the opening (niche) in place. It'll get plenty of exposure to your chlorinated pool water and will be easy to clean, if you even need to.

Best way would be to remove the fixture, drop the pool level, remove the ring around the niche, and then cement over the entire fixture. It won't be completely invisible but you can add plaster to it and get a decent match. Big project.

I just took the light out (it was really slimy, you can tell water was sitting in there). It is a Swimquip 5086. Is there a cover or something that I can put in its place?

What should I check and replace to fix the leak?

Edit: what should I use on the seal to make it seal better? How should I clean the liner where the light goes?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.