Weekly Shock

Jun 28, 2013
Hello,
I have a 36,000 gallon inground pool.
My local store is recommending a weekly treatment of 3lbs of Bioguard Smartshock for maintenance.
Does anyone know if this is necessary or if there is a cheaper alternative that people use on a weekly basis?

PH 7.5
TA 110
CL .4 ppm
CYA 4 0ppm

LOL Don't do it! Of *course* they're recommending it- you'll have to BUY it from someone (them, they hope!)

How's your pool looking? Do you do your own testing?? We don't give much credence to anything pool stores say as their bottom line is sales, ours is *care*. Our way is a LOT cheaper too~

Well, it really depends if you are planning to follow the pool store recommendations or going to invest the time in learning what we teach and follow the TFP methods.

We TFPer's never do a weekly "shock" like that because we always maintain adequate FC levels that are a function of the CYA. See the FC/CYA Chart.

The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.

Everyone here may not agree with me, but I have not found a reason to shock my pool in over two years. Even after a party, my CC have never been above .5ppm.
No, we all pretty much agree with that. Regular shocking is not a part of TFPC. SLAM (not 'shocking') is needed of you have a problem, but maintaining a proper FC/CYA ratio is in and of itself enough to prevent problems.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

My FC is at about 1 ppm.
Thats why i was wondering if i need to add bioguard weekly even if all of the chlorine, ph, alkalinity etc values were good.
Thanks for the advice.
What test kit are you using to determine this?

If your CYA is truly at 40ppm, and FC is truly at 1ppm you are already in trouble. For a CYA of 40ppm your FC MINIMUM is 3ppm, with a target of 5ppm.

I target CYA at 40ppm, and never let my FC drop below 5ppm.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Your FC is not low because you did not "shock" the pool. It's low because you are not maintaining the proper FC level.

As everyone has mentioned, if you follow the guidelines here you should never have to shock your pool, but if things should go green, no worries, we will get you through it with a proper S.L.A.M.

Don't trust the pool stores. I did for two years & ended up with a green pool both years. Now that I follow TFPC the pool is absolutely beautiful, and at a very minimal cost.

Dom

Duke, your last reply (FC of 1 ppm) is extremely low which is what would be the driving factor in your water changing to green/cloudy. Bioguard, or any other product for that matter, is simply a fancy-named, high-cost application to try and "Band-Aid" fix a fundamental problem - ensuring your FC level correlates to your existing CYA level. See the Chlorine/CYA Chart link below to se for yourself.

As mentioned already, you won't truly know your FC and CYA levels unless you make the small investment for a TF-100 test kit (Link also below). If you rely on the pool store to fix your pool (even testing), you will more than likely have a very frustrating pool season. We hope you will give TFP a try. Have a nice day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.