Leaking DE filter

Jun 15, 2015
Allen, TX
I have an 18 yr. old pool with a metal Purex Triton 2000 SM/SMBW 2060 DE filter that is leaking. It is leaking around the O-ring that joins the lid and body of the filter. I noticed it leaking several days ago and ordered a new O-ring. It came today when I went to change it I saw the leak had gotten much worse. Where I had been getting a drop every 2 seconds or so I now have three or four a second. I lubed up the O-ring and changed it out. The leak is still about the same. The O-ring has a red stripe on it. I have installed it both facing out and facing in with similar results. There do not seem to be any dents, rusted spots out of round areas. Am I missing something? Can anyone make a suggestion as to what else I might try.

Rich

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I do not think the strip should have any impact.
What does the band look like holding the filter together? Perhaps it is not tight enough? Post a picture.

On mine, I alternate tapping with a rubber mallet all the way around and making the nut snug ... I do this 4-5 times and never have to put very much torque on the band nut.

I will give the rubber mallet a try. I have tightened the devil out of it to no avail.
Rich
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I do not think the strip should have any impact.
What does the band look like holding the filter together? Perhaps it is not tight enough? Post a picture.

On mine, I alternate tapping with a rubber mallet all the way around and making the nut snug ... I do this 4-5 times and never have to put very much torque on the band nut.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.