Return jets eyeball sizing

s1njin

Jun 11, 2015
Jackson, NJ
Hey Gang,

My pool has 10 returns; 6 in the pool and 2 each in the steps and swim-out. My pool has 2 skimmers on opposite sides of the pool, and 2 main floor drains.

My steps and swim-out jets are valved such that I can shut them off in favor of the pool jets, or vice versa.

My skimmers and main returns are also valved similar to the above.

My pool is about 42' long, natural/free-form look to it. 21,400 gallons. 6' deep end. 2HP pump.

When I got my pool installed they were supposed to give me 6 returns in total per the contract. I ended up w/ the 10. Mine came w/ 2 3/4" eyeballs and 4 of those fancy schmancy spinner type jets for the main pool. I didn't really care for the spinners as I wasn't getting much in my skimmers. So I switched the 4 spinner jets and 2 3/4" jets to 6 1/2" jets. My pressure went from about 16lbs to almost 19. I angled the jets to move the water clockwise, thus encouraging the skimmers to grab more junk before it sunk to the bottom.

My reasoning behind this was if the pool was sized for 6 jets and now I have 10, I should probably drop the eyeball diameter to compensate. Now I'm questioning the wisdom of my choice and wondering if I should just put all 3/4" eyeballs in? Or should I keep 3 1/2" eyeballs on the jets closeset to the pump and put 3 3/4" eyeballs on the jets that are further out?

Very confused. What say you guys? Predictably my pool installer told me to put the spinners back in and have a nice day.

Does not really matter. The smaller jets will just result in a higher velocity of the water flow coming out of the jet. The flow rate will also be slightly reduced as you can see by the higher filter pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.