CYA is too high!

Jun 9, 2015
Oak Grove, MS
Hey, I am new here! My husband and I have been battling with our pool the past 2 summers. After throwing away tons of money, we have recently decided to go with the BBB method. We have been doing research, and from what we have read it should be the way to go. We have an in ground vinyl pool, he says it holds about 25,000 gallons. We purchased our test kit last week...according to that, our CYA was off the charts. We have been gradually draining and refilling a little at a time. It is FINALLY just now reading right about 100. I am getting frustrated because of how slow this process is. I just now took a look at the pool calculator and found out we will need to replace 60% of our pool.... UGH! As if this isn't costing enough as it is, ha! Any advice...maybe other suggestions? Encouragement??

Hi, welcome to TFP! Your story is very common. CYA test maxes out at 100, so it is not unusual that yours started out much higher than that. Just keep at it and soon you will have a beautiful sparkling pool!

Many of us, before learning TFP, learned our CYA was exceptionally high as well. You're in good company. :) Hang in there. Once you lower it and follow TFP, you won't go that high again.

Also, when you get a moment, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Finally, the following are short articles from this site that you will see linked in my signature below: Pool School, Recommended Levels (for YOUR pool), PoolMath Calculator, SLAM, and the Chlorine/CYA Chart. They come-in very handy.

Welcome! :wave:

I am SO glad you found us! We can help you clear your pool AND save money!

Get your CYA down and we can go from there. Once you get everything balanced you will not believe how easy it is to maintain!

You are already ahead of the game with your test kit!

Kim

welcome, you both can get a beauty of a pool, keep reading and post up some numbers and we will all get you going :)

We were using tablets...grrr.

And we ended up getting the Taylor FAS DPD K-2006.

So how much water is considered "safe" to drain at once? I think we are trying too hard to stay on the safe side and that's why this is taking so long...we are draining to just below the skimmers then filling back up. Now that I know just how much we need to be replacing, I would like to drain more at one time...just scared to drain too much!!

- - - Updated - - -

Okay I will do that! Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.