Just put my deposit down (North of Kansas City)

The pool builder was back on site on Monday and Tuesday (rain this morning :mad:). They are prepping the bottom for pool krete and getting ready to pour the deck. Random question as we get closer to the end here. How long should it take to fill a 30K gal pool with garden hoses? I know flow will depend on my particular water pressure, but any 1st hand experiences out there?

Got to this post late in the game, beautiful pool and location! I'm just west near Milford Lake Kansas.
If it's not too late- get the 2 speed 220v pump. The energy savings is well worth it. Our pump stays on low speed for normal timed filtering and I only run on high when heating or vacuuming.

The wind in our area combined with temps causes a bit of evaporation so don't panic when you see the water level drop over the course of a week. Not sure how long it will take for your pool with garden hoses but you might check with water department or fire district to borrow their meter and hoses if a hydrant is nearby.( just flush the lines first!)

BTW- wind direction really affects your skimmer effectiveness; so if wind blows opposite direction of skimmer consider planting a wind break.

Ron

Last edited:
I LOVE those huge rocks! WOW! So massive and strong looking!

You say you have some left over......what are your plans for them? I can see many neat things to do with them--benches, tables, jump rocks, etc.

Do you have you test kit yet? It is time to order it so you will be ready to take care of your water when it starts going in. You will know what you will need to have on hand if you go ahead and test your fill water.

Kim

I tried to upgrade the pump, but the parts were already on site. The pool builder wasn't having it. He has been a bit inflexible on stuff like that. I think his supplier is rigid on when products walk out the door. The PB has been flexible on everything else. I just wish he was here EVERY day. We had to have a heart to heart on Friday about attendance, and it got heated. I think he understands my issues now, though. There is a chance for more rain overnight, so I am worried they won't finish the concrete tomorrow, but the skies are still blue at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reminder, kimkats. I have been meaning to ask what test kit is included with my install. I am guessing it's something very basic, and that I will have to order the one I really want. So, we will be filling with hoses, so I should just test the tap water?

On the left over rocks, we will be building a second terrace below the pool. That will be home to a firepit/patio type area. It will probably have to wait until spring though...the pool is costing enough as it is.

I bet the test kit he gives you will be the Taylor 2005. That does not have two major tests in it that we use and love.

-Free chlorine (FC) test that will test over 5 or 10 ppm.
-CYA test-this is the stabilizer that is added to the water to act as a "sunscreen" for the FC.

If you look in my siggy you will see where you can order the test kits we use. You can even order just the tests your kit might not have. It is up to you.

I would test your tap water asap so you will know what to have on hand for balanced water from the get go.

I LOVE the idea for the terrace for a firepit! I can many a late night drink or early morning coffee there!

Kim

That's what we are thinking. In fact, you can see the stack of unused stones in a few of my pics. They are basically where they won't have to be moved far to be installed in the next wall. It will be around 200 sq ft installed (that's how they bill on the walls). So, it will be a lot smaller than the 475 sq ft big wall next to the pool.

Pool deck and walkway are done. The plumbing is completely done, and the mechanical pad is installed. The pump/filter/heater are all set, and ready to go. The pool bottom is completely shaped (completed on Wednesday), but rain has moved in. So, pool-crete on Monday, Tuesday to cure, Wednesday liner...can't hardly wait.

How long should it take to fill a 30K gal pool with garden hoses? I know flow will depend on my particular water pressure, but any 1st hand experiences out there?

For my pool, it took 4-5 days with a single hose to fill what I estimate to be a 21K gal pool. I have municipal water with good pressure.

I partially filled it last fall and then finished filling this spring so my total time is a ballpark guess.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How long should it take to fill a 30K gal pool with garden hoses? I know flow will depend on my particular water pressure, but any 1st hand experiences out there?

Take a bucket of known volume, 1, 2 or 5 gallon. Use your smart phone as a stop watch and time how long it takes to fill the bucket with the hoses you are planning on using. That will give you your flow rate in gallons per second, then a bit of math after that will give you a good guestimate on fill time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.