Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Shock with potassium monopersufate {SWG Shock }

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Palm Bay,Florida
    Posts
    31

    Shock with potassium monopersufate {SWG Shock }

    Just wanted to ask If this shock is ok to use in a salt pool. pool store said it's made for salt pools to free up CC, is this just a waste of money or should I buy this stuff to shock once a week.
    The name of this shock is Salinity weekly shock.
    Thanks for any help just do not want to waste money buying this stuff.
    14+28 Gunite with Pentair Pinnacale pump and pentair Clean & Clear Filter and Aqua Rite SWG

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad JohnT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW Indiana
    Posts
    8,617
    Salt pools almost never have a problem with combined chlorine. It's been speculated that this is because the water inside the cell is constantly being super-chlorinated.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

  3. Back To Top    #3
    DaveNJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Toms River, NJ
    Posts
    520
    Have never had CC while running SWCG. I have had .5ppm CC while opening pool (swamp) with bleach, had the SWCG removed for opening / cleanup.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

  4. Back To Top    #4

    In the Industry
    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    28,394
    Speed,

    Bottles of bleach will shock your pool just as effectively....but maybe a little more inconvenient. Probably save you some bucks. too......perhaps not much but the results will be just as effective.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Montreal Canada
    Posts
    326

    Re: Shock with potassium monopersufate {SWG Shock }

    Quote Originally Posted by speed151
    Just wanted to ask If this shock is ok to use in a salt pool. pool store said it's made for salt pools to free up CC, is this just a waste of money or should I buy this stuff to shock once a week.
    The name of this shock is Salinity weekly shock.
    Thanks for any help just do not want to waste money buying this stuff.
    Also note that monopersulfate interferes with the CC readings, requiring the addition of a deox reagent during the chlorine test (both DPD and DPD-FAS).

    Side note: The deox reagent is available here in Canada, a handy 66 ml size, for $53 CDN.

    No typo.

    Fifty-three dollars.

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Guest
    MPS (postassium monopersulfate) was developed by Dupont under the name of Oxone. They hold the patents and still sell it under the Oxone name for swimming pool and other uses. MPS will not break down chloramines. It works differently by oxidizing organics before they form chloramines. To so this you have to have a residual of MPS in the water all the time by weekly additions of it. With a SWG this is unnecessary since salt pools rarely develop chloramines and if they do a simple shock with bleach will take care of it. MPS is of more value in indoor pools than outdoor pools exposed to sunlight. I am sure the pool store would like to have you using MPS on a weekly basis. It will increase their profits!

    Also, as CaOCl2 noted, MPS will test as combined chlorine in the water unless special testing procedures are used to remove the interferance from it.

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Palm Bay,Florida
    Posts
    31
    thanks for all the replys on this . Guess its just another thing for the pool store to make mone off of.
    I am new to pool this is my first one and all I have to say is the pool stores around here try to get you to buy all kinds of stuff to add to your pool. this salt shock is one and the other was phosphate remover that is not cheap tell me that if I do not start adding phospate remover too the pool weekly I will get alge in my pool Guess if your new to pools they will really stick it to ya.
    Thanks for all the help and saving me Money as well.
    14+28 Gunite with Pentair Pinnacale pump and pentair Clean & Clear Filter and Aqua Rite SWG

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Wasn't there some discussions at poolsolutions about MPS potentially feeding algae?

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Palm Bay,Florida
    Posts
    31
    I would not dought it feeds alge the way these pool store try to get you to buy and add it weekly to the pool. what better way to keep up business in there stores have you mess your pool up so they can sell you more stuff to fix it.
    14+28 Gunite with Pentair Pinnacale pump and pentair Clean & Clear Filter and Aqua Rite SWG

  10. Back To Top    #10

    In the Industry

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Knippa, Texas
    Posts
    289
    I use MPS shock, and I did purchase deox reagent to remove that interference. I found that generally the MPS is gone within hours. I'm not an expert on this, but seeing how it behaves in my pool and spa, I'd suggest you could get by w/o using the deox reagent.

    Of course, with an outdoor pool, shocking with bleach works just fine. . . ol' Sol takes care of those CC's. Save your money, shock with bleach!

    ~Jules~
    ~Jules~

    My pool: INDOOR 13x27 rectangular fiberglass, built ~2001, BBB, TA-60 sand filter, Hayward two speed pump (1 hp/0.33 hp), 3/4 hp booster pump for solar heater
    Taylor K-2006 test

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •