Shock with potassium monopersufate {SWG Shock }

speed151

Active member
Jun 13, 2007
31
Palm Bay,Florida
Just wanted to ask If this shock is ok to use in a salt pool. pool store said it's made for salt pools to free up CC, is this just a waste of money or should I buy this stuff to shock once a week.
The name of this shock is Salinity weekly shock.
Thanks for any help just do not want to waste money buying this stuff.
 

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
9,600
SW Indiana
Salt pools almost never have a problem with combined chlorine. It's been speculated that this is because the water inside the cell is constantly being super-chlorinated.
 

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
32,861
Sebring, Florida
Speed,

Bottles of bleach will shock your pool just as effectively....but maybe a little more inconvenient. Probably save you some bucks. too......perhaps not much but the results will be just as effective.
 

CaOCl2

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2007
326
Montreal Canada
speed151 said:
Just wanted to ask If this shock is ok to use in a salt pool. pool store said it's made for salt pools to free up CC, is this just a waste of money or should I buy this stuff to shock once a week.
The name of this shock is Salinity weekly shock.
Thanks for any help just do not want to waste money buying this stuff.
Also note that monopersulfate interferes with the CC readings, requiring the addition of a deox reagent during the chlorine test (both DPD and DPD-FAS).

Side note: The deox reagent is available here in Canada, a handy 66 ml size, for $53 CDN.

No typo.

Fifty-three dollars.
 
G

Guest

MPS (postassium monopersulfate) was developed by Dupont under the name of Oxone. They hold the patents and still sell it under the Oxone name for swimming pool and other uses. MPS will not break down chloramines. It works differently by oxidizing organics before they form chloramines. To so this you have to have a residual of MPS in the water all the time by weekly additions of it. With a SWG this is unnecessary since salt pools rarely develop chloramines and if they do a simple shock with bleach will take care of it. MPS is of more value in indoor pools than outdoor pools exposed to sunlight. I am sure the pool store would like to have you using MPS on a weekly basis. It will increase their profits!

Also, as CaOCl2 noted, MPS will test as combined chlorine in the water unless special testing procedures are used to remove the interferance from it.
 

speed151

Active member
Jun 13, 2007
31
Palm Bay,Florida
thanks for all the replys on this . Guess its just another thing for the pool store to make mone off of.
I am new to pool this is my first one and all I have to say is the pool stores around here try to get you to buy all kinds of stuff to add to your pool. this salt shock is one and the other was phosphate remover that is not cheap tell me that if I do not start adding phospate remover too the pool weekly I will get alge in my pool Guess if your new to pools they will really stick it to ya.
Thanks for all the help and saving me Money as well.
 

speed151

Active member
Jun 13, 2007
31
Palm Bay,Florida
I would not dought it feeds alge the way these pool store try to get you to buy and add it weekly to the pool. what better way to keep up business in there stores have you mess your pool up so they can sell you more stuff to fix it.
 

giulietta1

In The Industry
Mar 29, 2007
289
Knippa, Texas
I use MPS shock, and I did purchase deox reagent to remove that interference. I found that generally the MPS is gone within hours. I'm not an expert on this, but seeing how it behaves in my pool and spa, I'd suggest you could get by w/o using the deox reagent.

Of course, with an outdoor pool, shocking with bleach works just fine. . . ol' Sol takes care of those CC's. Save your money, shock with bleach!

~Jules~