New Pool Build - Massachusetts

I am guessing that is why he offered two. So there would be enough light.

Kim

I think the 2 on the sun deck will be plenty, I am worried about the stair side, it is about 28' away. The pool equipment will be over behind the stair side, so I think if we have the electrician add an outlet we can always put a landscape light there. I think that is what you mean by pole light. Thanks for the thought. I was a bit frazzled yesterday. I knew that changing the master plan was going to bring with it a whole host of stresses. It was just a lot of "details" yesterday. Thankfully, after 14 years hubby knows how to pull me off the ceiling. He reminded me, this pool is going to be awesome and even if things aren't perfect, it is going to be awesome. We have done many projects over the years, and none of them are perfect, and we love them just the same.

On another note, I looked at the brochures for our equipment and I think, if I am reading it all correctly, our pump is a two-speed, which is what seems to be recommended around this forum. (Pump is a Hayward Tri-Star 3/4 HP)
The other recommendation I see is over size the filter (Hayward StarClear Plus Cartridge Filter, size 175). Is that enough?

PB says we should be up and running next week, he is fast-tracking us. I should have pics with concrete by the end of the day!

Deep breath, hang on, and enjoy the ride!

I think you will be fine with the lights. We only did the 2 normal ones and other people had me second guessing not having 3...the 2 are really fine - especially if you have some landscape lighting as well.

By the way - saw a sample of your pool liner - love it!! Can't wait to see it with water - it will be beautiful!!!

By the way - saw a sample of your pool liner - love it!! Can't wait to see it with water - it will be beautiful!!!

I am so Jealous! I am really hoping it gives a nice blue, and blends in and looks natural. We will see.

Plumbing is today so long as the inspector approved yesterday. Crew should be arriving in an hour or two. Pretty excited, PB said the concrete should be hard enough to stand on today, and I am dying to go jump around on my tanning ledge.

Well, they didn't do the plumbing today. They did more concrete work. I no longer have a dirt hole in the backyard, it actually is starting to look like a pool! This is all so fascinating to watch. Anyway, here are a few shots of the concrete on the inside of the pool going in.

I got some video, but it needs some editing and techie stuff is cpeds's job.
It was so funny to see all those big guys getting more and more squished together in the deep end.

One by one they left the pool, walking in the same footprint of the last guy. The second to last guy hanging over the edge cracked me up.

The last guy backed out, one step at a time smoothing as he went, in all that heat, all by himself. I felt so bad, but was glad to see he smoothed away each and every footprint to perfection. Then he hung himself over the rail too. This is what it looks like now, a REAL POOL! yay!

I think so, it looks really really smooth to me. The only thing that looks a little weird is where the sundeck meets the deep end, not crazy about that, but when it is filled with water, it might never even be noticed. I asked if I could go in after 24 hours like the prior pour. They politely asked me not too. They told me one job they did, the kids went in on their skateboards the next day and they had to do the whole thing over. I told them I would stay out till Monday when they could check it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Will it have a liner? Have you expressed your concern about that spot to your PB?

Kim

Yes, next is a vermiculite layer on the tanning ledge, then the liner, then more concrete from the back side, to fill under the stairs. The electrician came out yesterday morning to talk about where everything goes. We were out most of the day, and got home late. When I looked out the window this morning, I could see grey pipes and copper wire all over the place. After some coffee, I will head out and take some pictures. The pool builder said he wanted to get the pool grounded asap, so I am guessing that is what he did yesterday.

I haven't said anything about the spot. Thing is, the liner is already ordered, and it on the plan that way (if I am reading it right). I just didn't notice it until it was built (live and learn). Hubby says with water, no one is going to hurt themselves on it or likely even notice it, and honestly (call me crazy), I trust our PB. He has been doing this a long time (30 years I think) , if it was a real concern he wouldn't do it. He has an excellent reputation around here.

Oh my goodness, I'm almost too late to jump in on this pool build! It amazes me (and makes me jealous) how fast the vinyl pools can go. Your property is breathtaking! You guys have an absolutely gorgeous setting for a pool. And the view from the upper deck and those windows must be fabulous! I can almost hear the hush of the trees all around. Beautiful with snow, right? Take care. Suz.

On Friday they delivered the water. Swimming in 52 degree water didn't last long, but it happened. We've been in the pool every day since. Yesterday it was warm enough to feel good.

Yesterday they built the retaining walls for the downhill slope. They turned it into two terraces with rock walls holding each. They also placed the pump, filter, and heater. No electricity or propane yet. No deck jets or waterfall yet. No drainage yet. Still need to fill the stairs and benches with concrete. Still need a real fence, right now the pool is surrounded by orange, temporary fence (the stuff you see at construction sites). Etc., etc., etc...

Hey all!
Been super busy here, including an i phone that was so full it wouldn't take any more pics. Lots has happened, and I finally had time to organize my pics! This will be a long post.

So the vermiculite was added and smoothed down.

Thursday they dropped off a mini excavator for digging a trench for the pipes the next day. Paul told me that we would have water on Friday. I almost fell over, I was looking at the yard, and thinking "No way!"

Friday morning, they were digging the trench for the pipes.

Dump trucks of fill started arriving and they buried the pipes and filled in around the pool.

The dump truck dumped the fill in the lower yard, the excavator loaded the bobcat, the bobcat scooted around the pool and another guy smoothed it all out. It was something to watch.

Later in the morning a few other guys arrived, and started adhearing the foam to the sidewalls.

By 11:30 am, they were adding the liner!

Of course, timing is EVERYRHING. Friday was also the last day of school, and I had volunteered to make the fruit snack for the my sons 3rd grade end of year class party. I couldn't believe I was going to miss the liner going in. To add to the stress, just as I was loading all the pieces into the car the propane guy, who promised to show up first thing in the am, showed up. First he told me that he couldn't do what he had told me he could do, and we started to try to figure out what we were going to do. But, it was going to be a long conversation and I told him I had to go to go and set up for the party. He kept on yapping, and I was getting more stressed by the minute, I had to get to the school! Finally, I dumped the whole thing on Paul, and said "can we do this?" Paul said anything was possible, it meant a ton of extra work for him, and I knew it wasn't fair, but I said great and rushed off to the school. In all of the mayhem, I ended up forgetting the blueberries at home, and had to substitute green grapes for the beading, which made me even more grumpy. In the end, it came out cute enough and the kids were thrilled with the "cake".

By the time I arrived back home, sigh, I had missed all the good stuff! But it looked amazing! I ran over to look at the liner.

The fence company came, right on time. I had called them in a panic the night before about the water arriving the next day, and they promised to get a temp fence up. Then, I just waited for the water to arrive. I really wasn't sure how I felt about the liner. The first load of water arrived, and I was so excited. WEE!

While it was filling, I asked the guy if I could go in. He told me the spring water was cold, only 52 degrees. I said, it would probably be a quick trip. He told me it gets slippery. I told him I had good balance. He said it was my pool and I could go in if I wanted to. Off I went to get my bathing suit. Getting in wasn't bad at all, but it was cold, and getting OUT was where the slippery came in. I was freezing cold and trying to scoot up the slope backwards on my backside for what felt like forever, but in fact was probably not that long. With five points of contact, you wouldn't think it would be that hard, but it was like trying hold onto a greased pig. Anyway, the water guy was chuckling pretty good by the time I actually got out and ran for my fleece bathrobe.

The kids arrived home while the second load was filling, and they wanted to go in. There was enough water that I wouldn't have to rescue them, so in they went. At this point, I was loving the color of the water in my pool, and so so SO happy!

Anyway, that was last friday. What a DAY! I have to go make breakfast for my little one, but will try to get more pics up later today.

-Kid on backhoe! CUTE!!!

-Fruit cake---------You did that???????? You are wonderful! I bet the kids loved it!

-liner going in and missing it- :( BUT you got the start and the finish so it is all good!

-Need more on the story of the propane------what did you want them to do and what did they do?

-Liner-------LOVE the color! That is wonderful looking water!

-water and YOU going in! I bet he laughed all the way back to get more water about you scooting up and out! LOL He tried to tell you!

-kids swimming-The smiles! Oh yeah!

Kim

Propane story, has a happy ending. So, in the "master plan" the tank was going to go under the porch, so it would be hidden by all the lattice. If you remember, we threw out the master plan on day 2 of digging and decided to wing it. At some point early after the changes, Paul and I decided to put the tank on the middle terrace on the left side of the driveway. That would keep them out of sight, but as close to the ignition source as is safe (10' is code) so a lot less trenching. Paul said they would run a hard line from the tank, over the stone wall, down into the ground and trench to equipment pad. I called the propane guy, described what Paul had in mind, and asked him to come take a look. He said it sounded fine, and I should call him when the pad went in, so he could install the tanks. Last week, when PB said water by the end of the week, I called the propane company back, and asked him to come out before Thursday. I wanted to know and mark exactly where the trench had to be, so that Paul could dig it with the excavator and I wouldn't have to dig it by hand. He didn't show up Wednesday, so I called him Thursday morning, he said he would come out Friday. I told him to come early, since I REALLY didn't want to dig that trench by hand and I didn't know how long the excavator would be there. He assured me he would be there, first thing. He showed up at like 11:30. What he had to say was that he wanted the trench 18" down in the middle terrace! Run level under the rock wall , then up to 18" below grade and then over to the equipment pad.

So basically, Paul would have to dig out a section of the rock wall, dig the trench and try to put the wall back together.

Anyway, by Saturday night, I realized my guy (same company that provides our heating oil, or used to) was being a total pain and hadn't really taken care of us at all. When Paul showed up on Monday, I apologized for the propane company fiasco and asked him if he would like to call "his guy". Less then 10 minutes later he had his guy coming out later in the day to take a look. His guy said they had some sort of concrete block safety thing and could do exactly what Paul had wanted to do in the first place and it would be no problem, except he was going on vacation and we wouldn't have the pool heated until second week of July. I told him that was fine. It would be nice to have sooner, but the delay really is my fault, and the pool water is already pretty warm.

So it is all good now.

Yea! Good call on having Paul call his guy!

That other guy---------not showing up when he should have AND then coming up with that plan! THAT is why you wanted him to come look at it BEFORE! DUH! Dude you need to SEE what you are dealing with!

I am glad it all worked out!

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Yea! Good call on having Paul call his guy!

That other guy---------not showing up when he should have AND then coming up with that plan! THAT is why you wanted him to come look at it BEFORE! DUH! Dude you need to SEE what you are dealing with!

I am glad it all worked out!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.