Let's talk depth

Our pool is 3' - 8 1/2' deep. I love the deep end and spend more time in it than the shallow end. All the kids we have over are all over the pool. There's plenty of bench space in the shallow end for shallow end adults. We also have lots of benches all around to sit/stand on. We didn't get the pool until the kids were 9 & 11 but it would have been built the same either way (I'm the one paying for it!) It's unbelievable how young kids can learn how to swim really well when they have a pool at home. I've seen and heard of 3 year-old's swimming well without assistance in pools. I enjoy diving from the side and from the board. I always jump in the deep end and touch bottom to get in the first time...never the shallow end. I love it. For me, a pool without a deep end is missing something. But it has to be what works best for all involved, both now and in the future. For anyone who goes deep, I highly recommend standing ledges/benches in the deep end next to the regular benches. I use them all the time. I'd suggest 36-40" deep for them.

Our pool is 3' - 8 1/2' deep. I love the deep end and spend more time in it than the shallow end. All the kids we have over are all over the pool. There's plenty of bench space in the shallow end for shallow end adults. We also have lots of benches all around to sit/stand on. We didn't get the pool until the kids were 9 & 11 but it would have been built the same either way (I'm the one paying for it!) It's unbelievable how young kids can learn how to swim really well when they have a pool at home. I've seen and heard of 3 year-old's swimming well without assistance in pools. I enjoy diving from the side and from the board. I always jump in the deep end and touch bottom to get in the first time...never the shallow end. I love it. For me, a pool without a deep end is missing something. But it has to be what works best for all involved, both now and in the future. For anyone who goes deep, I highly recommend standing ledges/benches in the deep end next to the regular benches. I use them all the time. I'd suggest 36-40" deep for them.

What does your depth profile look like? How much is deep vs shallow? Do you know at what distance from the deep end wall your pool hits te 5' depth mark?

It reaches 5' deep at 19-21' from the deep end wall. My pool is dimensionally challenged in that the depth in the middle is 6" deeper on one side versus the other. No big deal though, just adds variety. So that leaves roughly 18' from 3-5' deep on 38' in length. Best of luck

Our first pool was 6.5 feet in the deep end. Always made me nervous when kids dove off the edge. Our new pool will have a diving board and be 8.5 feet. I love to tread water when I am in a pool, so I am pretty happy. My only worry is that it will be colder. We have an infloor cleaning system which does help with heat, though. I think it is all personal preference.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

At what depth do the rules for slope kick in? I'd love a deep pool but don't want to consume 3/4 of the entire pool just to get 9+ foot deep end. In a 39' pool I'd like 5ft at the half way mark (19'6"). I'm trying to avoid children diving into an aggressive slope.

We just got our pool going. Chose an L shape. The deep end is the longer part of the L and is 8'-7" deep x 36' x 18'. the shallow end is 10 x 14 and 3.5' deep with corner stairs and a couple jets in the stairs.

Design was based on 3 boys all liking the jumps, flips and dives into the pool. Large diving rock placed for this. Diving from anywhere in the deep end. Shallow end drops sharply into the deep end so no gentle slope to crack into.

I scuba dive and my buddy and I do drills in the deep end with no problems - can even use one end with the kids at the other. Will be installing a slide too as the youngest will get a few years of fun outta that.

I don't mind a 5 foot deep pool but I cannot resist the cannon balls and the underwater dive flips and stuff. Kids all do the deep dives for toys etc even when older. The other reason for the deeper pool - kids in the 14 to 18 year age doing crazy stuff....ok 46 year olds too :)

I went with the sports pool 16x34, depth 3.5 to 5 to 4 ft, plus an 18 inch deep 7x7 ledge and a 18 inch bench the full length of the pool.

The only change I might have made was making the depth 4,5,4. The 4 ft end seems more popular than the 3.5.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ours is 4' to 9.5' for diving board, also 26'x12' beach entry where it goes from dry deck to 6" water out at 12'.
Our last pool was 8' deep for jumping off the waterfall grotto and the 32' high speed rock slide. Because we could still touch bottom when jumping in, I made sure this pool is deeper than code required for the diving board.

Wow macdee, do you have pics of that amazing pool? I saw a couple in your thread regarding the grout.

As for depth after reading the ANSI/APSP rules I'm now the depth master. Hahaha. Just wish I had autocad skills so I could send a cleaner version to my PB:
0CE031B7-F676-4835-B726-A44C5B665EA3_zpsvcztp0dy.jpg

My insurance company didn't blink when I told them the pool had a diving board. Some freak out about one or the other usually. Hopefully they don't act like a slide is a death trap when I want to install one. If they do I guess I'll be insurance shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine didn't blink either. USAA I love you!

Our pool is 10ft x 20ft and goes from 3.5 ft to 5ft. we love it when you can stand up all over the pool. No problems here all our friends who have pools wish theirs were shallow too. In fact 2 of our friends just recently made their pools shallower. The grand kids have a great time jumping in the deep end just no diving.

We are very happy with our play pool. It makes the pool much bigger for everyone to hang out in without treading water. and we can have a kid side and adult side when we want. The only thing we would change is instead of 3-1/2x5x4 we would change to 4x5x4 because 3-1/2 is too shallow. Nobody ever goes there, especially not kids. Kids like to hang out on the benches and jump off, throw stuff, rest. Put a tape measure on everyone and see where 3-1/2 ends up to see what you think.

Exactly what I said, I think the ideal depth is 4,5,4 with an 18 inch deep sun shelf and bench.

We have 18 x 42. 3 1/2 to 8 1/2.
No issues with insurance. We hope to start swimming shortly.
Our decision process was give the kids an area were they will run and jump and dive in and climb out and do it all again. Wear them out. The priority is diving and jumping. But wanting to capture some of the sporting area, we eliminated a sun shelf and made the pool 42 rather than original (and cheaper 38) to get a few extra feet of shallow.

We are very happy with our play pool. It makes the pool much bigger for everyone to hang out in without treading water. and we can have a kid side and adult side when we want. The only thing we would change is instead of 3-1/2x5x4 we would change to 4x5x4 because 3-1/2 is too shallow. Nobody ever goes there, especially not kids. Kids like to hang out on the benches and jump off, throw stuff, rest. Put a tape measure on everyone and see where 3-1/2 ends up to see what you think.

We are thinking of 3 1/2-5-4. Now I'm not sure. I need to get in a pool and see lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.