Fresh Fill and new to TFP

May 30, 2015
Murray, KY
I always take my water to the pool guys and have them test it, and then spend a fortune for chemicals. A friend told me about TFP so here I am. We live in Western Kentucky and have a 24 X 4ft round above ground pool. I have filled it out of our well. As of right now, I do not have nice test kit. All I have at this moment is the chlorine/ph kit.

My chlorine of course was zero and I poured in what the pool math suggested, which was basically one jug of liquid bleach.
My pH is 6.8

That is where I am confused. Do I add baking soda or the borax? and how long do I wait to add it after the chlorine?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am new to figuring this out on my own. I usually just trust the pool guys to tell me what and when to put in and then spend a fortune. :)

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

You raise pH with 20 Mule Team Borax. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.....it'll tell you more about the parameters and how to adjust them.

Then, you use the PoolMatch calculator to calculate your dosage.

We can help you put your money back in your pocket but you will have to read and learn and ask questions.

What does your water look like?

Welcome! :wave:

Well.... You're going to need stabilizer aka CYA or every drop of bleach you add will be gone to sunlight in hours. And you need to raise pH. What chemicals do you have leftover? They're generally the same as we recommend, they just cost 3X or 4X as much and come in fancier packages when you buy it at the pool store.

What chemical does what and how you add each is explained here.
How much of each to add is explained in poolmath. Read this before you start using it.

You can probably scrape by for a few days with the tester you have, seeing as CYA will be zero and you can test the low FC levels you'll be maintaining as well as pH. But you won't be able to verify the actual CYA level until you invest in a proper test kit.

Borax *raises* pH
Baking Soda is used to Alkalinity

Have you delved in to Pool School yet to learn about pool chemistry? You'll find the link at the top right of this site. Its a lot of information and may take reading, and then reading again later before it makes sense but we can help you help yourself.

Welcome to TFP :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.