Clear Green Water

Jun 6, 2015
Lower Lake, CA
I have an Intex 20ft X 4ft Ultra Frame Above Ground pool With Krystal Clear SaltWater System. Was clear blue for a couple days then after 1 day of use is now clear green. I added HTH metal control which helped some. Added muriatic acid to bring down ph and then shocked with 1 gallon of liquid chlorine. Cleaned and changed filter 2 times a day. Filter was a copper color and so was the water in was sitting in. Draining the pool is not really an option. We are in a severe drought and use only well water. Current numbers this morning:
TH:400
FC:10/20
PH:7.8
TA:120
CYA:0

Any help would be much appreciated! I live in the country so walmarr is my only option for pool supplies. Thanks!

Welcome! :wave:

I'm guessing you mean Lower Lake in Lake County, CA? I know it gets real hot there in the summer. The pool should feel great. It helps us a lot to know where people are and what equipment they have. Here's how to fix your profile and signature.

What you're describing sounds like Iron in the water. If it's precipitating out and clogging the filters, be grateful. When it's gone that way, it's gone. If you haven't added any stabilizer aka CYA, you need to add some. Right now the FC level is too high without the buffering effects of CYA. That may have contributed to the Iron turning colors.

As an aside, how did you get those results? Looks like test strips. Not good. They're generally not accurate - sort of the equivalent of a yardstick that only shows the feet markings, when you need at least 1/4" resolution. I'm sure others will chime in soon with lists of must-read articles in pool school. I would, but the wife is waiting on me right now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.