Chlorine %

Nov 1, 2013
Western Canada
I have been reading here everyone that buys Walmart Great Value bleach is 8.25%. My local Walmart Great Value bleach says 4.25% on the jug??
I tested it (.1ml/1L) and it tested out to 4.5%. Cant seem to see any 8.25% stuff other that Clorox brand.
Also I tested some liquid chlorine labelled 10.8% and it tested at 14%. Does that sound normal ?

I think you may have the cleaning (household) bleach, or maybe easy pour? The standard Walmart bleach is 8.25% (costs $2.94 for 121 oz here)....I don't think it would differ much in cost anywhere, and the % chlorine should be the same.
Edit- I see you're in Canada, so I don't know what's available there

Yes i am in Canada. The Great Value bleach is not easy pour. Just their regular bleach. I checked all they stock on the shelf and its all 4.25% ( $1.98 for 121 oz). Possibly a Canadian Walmart thing? I am close to USA so next trip south I will look in the Walmart and see if they have the 8.25%.

Cheetah, a ten litre jug of 12% liquid chlorine is $5.99 at the local pool store here (Toronto area). 121 oz of the Walmart bleach is about 3.5 litres so you are paying 10/3.5x$1.98=$5.66 for ten litres of the Walmart bleach, about the same price per litre but it is just over a third as strong. Bottom line is that the Walmart bleach well over twice as expensive per unit of chlorine. Unless liquid chlorine is unavailable in your location or costs far more than here, you should probably use it instead. If it is, in fact, 8.25%, then it starts looking better but is still higher price.

Hopefully I haven't missed something in my calculation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.