Ammonia is whipping me....

Here is the problem you are facing. What is happening in your pool is pretty much not possible.

There is no secret ingredient or magic trick to solve this problem based on what we all know.

FC is consumed by two things only.......sunlight and organics in your pool......there is nothing else that consumes chlorine in a pool.

So, by performing the OCLT, sunlight is eliminated but you still pass the test confirming there are no appreciable organics in your pool.

Sunlight can be the only culprit. However, even with NO CYA whatsoever you would not consume 20 ppm in a morning....perhaps 10-15.

Couple that with your confirmed reading (and dosing) of 40 ppm CYA, that means your AM loss might be 5 ppm, if that.

It's a scenario where there is no answer.

OK, so I'll re-try the OCLT. The drastic consumption is real and is only happening during the day. And the CYA is really there because I watched myself put it in and have confirmed the test enough to need to order more R-0013. Its just funny that if there are organics in my pool, they only consume chlorine when there is daylight. At night or when the cover is closed, I'm holding very steady to the 0.5.

Do you have a pack of wild dogs (or neighborhood kids) that come and pee in the pool in the morning, but only when the cover is open ...

Clearly we are grasping at straws here :mrgreen:

Just another straw...but do you live near a farm or anywhere where some kind of spraying or airborn pesticide drift could be giving the chlorine a battle when the cover is open? Chlorine will "fight" and attempt to oxidize other chemicals....

And since you do have a small ammonia reading, I also wonder if there is some kind of phenom there that only activates in sunlight. Short of aliens or solar flares, those are about my only other "Wild-arsed-guesses"...though in a Michael Crichton hat-tip, I don't trust enzymes either not to mutate...but you haven't used any ;)

There seem to have been a few other strange consumption phenoms reported here lately, but those seem to have been connected (though unconfirmed) to getting RV antifreeze into the pool on opening instead of draining it to waste and vac'ing it out. Did you have any kind of opening event like that?

How would you feel about a partial drain as an experiment to see if that shifted the pattern?

Sorry you're having this hassle. Hope someone stumbles upon an eureka moment for you!

Possibly a combination of bromide and ammonia. The bromide would be converted to bromine which would create some bromamines. Since the bromamines register as fc, no cc would be measured. Since the bromine is a weaker oxidizer than chlorine, the process would be slower. During the day, the bromine would be lost to the UV. The loss to UV might be accelerated by the presence of bromamines.

Have you ever used a Yellow out type of product?

The presence of bromide might even interfere with the ammonia test.

What about a test like this (for just one day.)

Daylight hours, keep the cover closed.
Nighttime hours, keep the cover off.
Record test results.

If the loss is less dramatic during the day, then the next day dose with dichlor and see if it acts the same way even with the stabilizer in the product.

Just a thought.

So....over the weekend I re-evaluated all of my testing methods, rewatched the youtube videos and closely monitored the pool. After several days of getting the same results - FC holds perfectly at night at SLAM level and drops like a bomb when the sun comes out - I decided to try my CYA tests in all different lights, with one-eye closed and with both eyes opened, etc. I figured maybe my CYA was actually 30, since I could faintly see the dot until right before 30. So I added another floating sock on Sunday to increase it to 40 (awaiting results). I also decided to reduce my FC dosages down from SLAM levels since I was losing FC so fast during the day. Again, my FC of 4.5 at night was at 4.0 in the morning.

Pool still looks crystal clear. For the last couple days, I haven't been trying to keep up with the FC consumption by dumping in more bleach every daytime hour. Instead, I've been getting the readings to 4.5 at night, confirming in the morning, testing at noon is 0 FC and waiting until the sun goes down each evening before adding another gallon to get it to 4.5 again.

My question is: Is this method going to catch up with me and present problems? Any suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I continue to read and re-evaluate what I'm doing as I continue to get the same results. As I re-read the slam procedures, I recalled that my PH has crept above 7.8. Should I try to lower to 7.2 and SLAM again over the weekend?

My pool is still clear as can be, my FC holds over night but goes to 0 by noon and doesn't hold for an hour during the sunlight hours. CYA is 40. Thanks for sticking with me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.