Easy Touch DC Power Output

.jake

May 26, 2015
Queen Creek, AZ
My dig begins next week. The main panel is an Easy Touch 4 with SWG controls. I've been reading and it looks like there are 12, 18 & 24 Vdc output terminals. Are these standard? Can these be connected direct to landscape lighting or is there more to it? Beyond that, does the controller automate these outputs on a simple schedule (on at 6, off at 11) or can it do more advanced schedules like on 30 mins before sunset?

The sales guy isn't sure on the details so he's connecting me with the electrician that does all of this work for them, just wanted to know what questions I should be asking in this area.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jake, you might want to take a second look at your info. As far as I can tell there are no DC outputs on the EasyTouch. There are 3 amp circuit breakers for 12, 18, and 24 volts AC (not DC) , but there are not directly used as outputs. These voltages go to the main circuit card, which uses them to power itself on, energize the internal relays, and to provide control voltage for external valves.

If you plan to use the Easytouch4 for automation of number of devices you might want to think of upgrading to the "8". The "4" has 4 relays, but.. the first one is (in theory) is used to control the SWG to make sure it does not come on unless the pump is running. I would suspect you want to use number 2 to control your pool light. Here anyway, it is a requirement to have a light over the equipment pad, so that uses number 3. Which only leave you one to play with.

I only have basic on/off at a particular time type of programing in my EasyTouch. After playing with it for several months, I have not seen anything that would lead me to believe that it can think for itself and would know when the sun sets. But, I'll let the guys who know what they are doing, answer that one.

Jim R.

Hmm, OK. What happened to the old fashioned metal timers you cringed at touching with wet bare feet? At least they were clear on what they did (and didn't) do.

Anyway, it appears that I did indeed misunderstand the way it would work. It seems the best it can do is supply 110Vac to a duplex on the side that itself is triggered by the internal timer system (and burning an AUX channel).

That's not going to cut it since in DST-free AZ the sun sets at a rather large window as the calendar pages flip. Simply turning on at 18:00 surely won't be the effect I want. Probably best to just wire that duplex to a breaker and let a traditional power supply handle the creeping sunset times with it's sensor.

BTW, I can't get a good answer to what's required to upgrade the Easy Touch 4 to an 8. It it just a module or is there more to it?

JY-

I was thinking of just having your PB install an EasyTouch8 in place of the 4, since your pool is not even dug yet.

I suspect there is a way to upgrade an existing 4 to an 8, but I don't know what would be involved besides the additional relays. I assume new Firmware, but that is just a guess.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.