Pool Remodel in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hello All,
First time poster here and getting estimates to remodel our pool.

I thought I would post a few pictures and throw some ideas out to see if their are other suggestions.

Anyway, the pool is in queue to be the next project up for a makeover.
It is of 1997 vintage with a remodel at some point. We are second owners here for not quite 2 years now.
I have all house plans; the 22k gal, 20' x 42' pool was built with a 12" tile over concrete decking, and glass block under the spa spillway. It was remodeled with DB, remodel coral coping over an original red brick coping, the glass block was removed and patio pavers placed over the orig tile. The DB is showing it's age otherwise we would keep as-is; it is time to replaster before it gets out of hand.

We got a couple estimates last fall and were shocked I guess, but we were not ready at that time as it was new roof project priority. Now we are ready, and the pool decking is the majority of the expense....2000sf.

Here is our plan:
  • Reconfigure-shoot new steps into a wave like pattern, they will extend twice the size as they are now. (remove the half circle look)
  • New glass waterline tile
  • 112 LF Travertine coping
  • Stacked stone above the water line tile at spa spillway
  • New surface either SGM or DB

We are going to buy/install travertine French pattern pavers ourselves. This will be the second pool that we have done the pavers on our own. This alone will save us thousands.

Lights-Not so sure of. There are two standard 12v watertight lights in now, I haven't researched LEDs.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Stacked stoneunder a spillway good or bad idea?

Thanks in Advance

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 284
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 284
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 284
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 285
Thanks Patrick!
I'll start adding pictures as we figure things out.
Getting estimates now, we had a pool guy out yesterday and he liked our suggestions. Basically he told us that the minimum order of shotcrete is 12 yards. That is a whole lotta concrete. To redo the steps is about 5 yards. If we wanted to do a sunshelf instead, it would be about 7 yards. Same price - you pay by the truck. We have some thinking to do, sunshelf or reconfigure the steps.

I can think of all sorts of things to do with extra shotcrete: seating walls, boulders, waterfalls, grottos, fire pits, planters, etc. The list is endless.

What is DB and SGM? We have a mid-80's pool we are looking to redo too. Similar shock at the estimates (those totals looked like "a whole new pool" totals �� to us). We would lime to raise our spa and turn it into a water feature and were told it's $5,000 just to get a shotcrete truck to show up.

What is DB and SGM? We have a mid-80's pool we are looking to redo too. Similar shock at the estimates (those totals looked like "a whole new pool" totals �� to us). We would lime to raise our spa and turn it into a water feature and were told it's $5,000 just to get a shotcrete truck to show up.

Hi I should have clarified.
SGM is the manufacturer of Diamond Brite

There are two major players here in my latitude with pool finishes where pools are very popular (of 44 houses on my street, 41 have pools)
Diamond Brite, and
Florida Gem
Both are somewhat equal in quality, have distant ties to each other (a partner disagreement of some sort), and 10 year warranties.
Diamond Brite is the buzz word for that last several years thanks to an aggressive marketing machine, and a very recognizable brand now.
I'm still getting estimates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.