Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer/Main Drain question

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer/Main Drain question

I have 4 pipes leading to my pump: 2 from skimmers, 2 from main drains. Is it possible to close the pipes coming from the skimmers and just use the lines coming from the main drain?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Why would you want to do this? (not being a smart-alec, just wondering what your purpose is...)

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sure, you can do that. Of course you won't have the skimmers skimming the surface any more. Typically with a setup like that you would normally leave them all on. That mixes the deep water with the surface water, which can help circulation. There is, however, plenty of flexibility when they are all independent like that. The only things that would cause real problems is turning them all off or turning everything off but one skimmer and having that skimmer get clogged.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

The last few days, skimmers have been really filling up with frogs. That got me to thinking...what would happen if we were gone for a few days and skimmers got too clogged for pump to operate. If that happened, would main drain pipes take over?

5. Back To Top    #5
    The main drains will then supply the water to the pump if the skimmers clog. That happens to me all the time when I am using skimmer socks and the pollen levels are up.
    ~Megan

6. Back To Top    #6
    My setup is similar, but with only 1 main drain.

During normal operation I leave all valves fully opened. This provides a balanced draw of water from the surface and from the bottom.

If you just run bottom only, you probably won't have any issues since you have 2 main drains, but I'd recommend leaving them all on.

As a side note: Try to never run with only skimmers (no main drain(s)). If you do this you will end up with circulation problems and the water on the bottom of the pool not getting circulated. While not terribly likely, it could give algae a better chance of getting started on the bottom and sides.

If for some reason your skimmers do get completely clogged and you have your main drains opened, you will be fine until you get back to clean things out. You would probably be surprised at how hard it is to get your skimmer completely clogged (unless you use socks - much easier for clogs with socks).
    6500 gal. Fiberglass HydroPool w/SWG = 9' x 18' x 6';