Heating the pool

Seanb and To all this is a very interesting thread and I will be following very closely. I installed a Heat Syphon heat pump and the cost by calculations to heat my converted spa from putting a partion in my pool was $4.20 for the weekend heated to 96 degrees using a solar cover, 1 degree increase every 7min :-D :-D . ( if we heat the whole pool we get 1 deg increase every 27 mins :-D ) We only heat the converted spa/ pool on the weekends when we want to play and if the weather is forcasted to be great. We pay about 0.13 cents per KWh in Jacksonville so a heat pump is very efficient. You need to weigh all factors including cost to add heat pump, longevity, how often you will use the heat, will you have to add new power ( I highly reccomend to all new pool builds and upgrading pools to have a 100amp subpanel run :-D ) etc VS all costs for installation of gas, ie. gas meter, new service, cost of gas, cost of gas heater. The Heat Syphon we bought from Marcus at heatpumps.com and is the most efficient on the market. Go with the biggest btu output as this will heat your pool faster and look for the highest COP rating, ours has a cop rating of 7.3.
We are also considering solar to be used in the warmer mths and I too will be looking for recommendations. I am a DIY person and I am a very frugal type. :-D
You can see our setup in the thread in our signature. I look forward to getting good honest reccomendations and comments especially regarding to solar heating:goodjob:

Re: Go Solar

Solar only works here when you don't need it. Ive got several panels and they heat the water but not for long but where I live July and August are normally max 90 degrees meaning pool is around 80. I think 5 degrees would make a big difference

- - - Updated - - -

good info for me as Im close with 13k pool...88 degrees would be great don't have a heat pump and don't know the difference. But I will check it out. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.