SWG not producing chlorine?

jmcdtucson

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2014
Flagstaff, AZ
Pool Size
I've noticed my 1-year-old SWG isn't keeping up like last year. Everything reads normal but my chlorine keeps dropping even though I run the same amount (4 hours / day). The idiot lights on the SWG indicate proper operation and the cell is not scaled.

At first I thought CYA is down. But it was 50 and I've brought it back up to 70 and still my chlorine keeps dropping.
So today I tested before and after running the SWG for 4 hours. It increased chlorine at most 0.5.

Next I gathered my sample directly from the return jet. It reads the same Cl as water from the pool in general. Is this reliable?
Back around May 1 when investigating this, I did a SLAM and OCLT and it came in at 0.5. Pool water is crystal clear.

Is my SWG fried? Anything else to test?

Currently my pool is covered most of the time. Not sure if that affects anything.

Thanks!

NaCl: 3600 ppm (toward top of recommended, about same as last year)
CYA: 70
Borates: 50-80
Chlorine: TC: 4 FC: 4
TA: 60
PH: 7.2

After reading more, I'm going to at least try cleaning the cell first. I'm also going to run the unit longer before testing the chlorine from the return and see if I see any bubbles coming out.

I'd suspect sneaky algae, but I'd think I would see SOMEWHAT higher chlorine reading from the return than from the general pool.

EDIT: I do see the little champagne bubbles coming out.
Now measuring again after running the SWG for several hours, pool water is at 4.5 (so it produced something today since it was at 4 yesterday) and the water from the return is at 6.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.