Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smoking a turkey

1. Back To Top    #1

Re: smoking a turkey

The outside temp should not be a factor. You should be maintaining a steady temp in the smoker regardless.

I'll be smoking ours on my Grill Dome this year for the 1st time. It should turn out really good.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

2. Back To Top    #2

I've been smoking turkeys for years in both hot and cold weather. It does take a bit longer in cooler weather so just keep your temp in the ideal range and resist the temptation to open the lid.
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

3. Back To Top    #3

If you maintain a steady temp, why would it take longer in cold weather? 220 degrees is 220 degrees, right? I could see it taking longer to get the smoker up to temp and more wood to reach and maintain temp, but otherwise, I'd think it would be the same cooking time. Or do you let the temp drift?
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

4. Back To Top    #4

From my experiance a bird that size would take about 6 hours.
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.

5. Back To Top    #5

Weber recommends that amount of time as they have you "smoking it "at 300 degrees. I do my turkey at these temps for two reasons. 1,the skin comes out crisper and 2,there is no reason to "low and slow"a turkey as there isn't any fat to render. I do brine my turkey.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by No P in my ool
    Weber recommends that amount of time as they have you "smoking it "at 300 degrees. I do my turkey at these temps for two reasons. 1,the skin comes out crisper and 2,there is no reason to "low and slow"a turkey as there isn't any fat to render. I do brine my turkey.
    I agree on both the temp and the brining.

One thing I do like to mention about brining - you have to be careful about what type of container you brine in, so the salt doesn't react with it (metal pots especially). I use a big stock pot, but I also use one of the Reynolds baking bags as a liner of sorts. They are made of food-grade plastic, and are safe for brining.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

7. Back To Top    #7

I brine in a 5 gallon food grade plastic bucket.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

8. Back To Top    #8

The food-grade plastic is the important part, as I'm sure you know. Just wanted to mention it for anyone who might be reading this and who hasn't brined anything before.

What smoke wood do you use for your turkey? I tried apple last Christmas, and it was a big hit!
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    The food-grade plastic is the important part, as I'm sure you know. Just wanted to mention it for anyone who might be reading this and who hasn't brined anything before.

What smoke wood do you use for your turkey? I tried apple last Christmas, and it was a big hit!

I use apple also plus a bit of pecan.

10. Back To Top    #10

I think I'm going to try hickory and pecan.
    TFP Founder

11. Back To Top    #11

I personnally prefer hickory.

12. Back To Top    #12

I've used hickory in the past, and decided to try apple last year after doing a bit of research. Seems like the apple flavoring wasn't as strong as the hickory was in years past. Heck, I might smoke one using apple and one using hickory this year, and do a taste test.. I usually smoke two birds anyway, one for my family and one for my wife's family.
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by shayes2
    I used Hickory last year. Could someone explian the brining process please?
    Yes, someone please explain the brining process. I am not familiar with this. Also, I will be smoking my first turkey this year on my Primo grill. Thanks for the help.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by ztxm10
    I used Hickory last year. Could someone explian the brining process please?
    Yes, someone please explain the brining process. I am not familiar with this. Also, I will be smoking my first turkey this year on my Primo grill. Thanks for the help.
    Brine solution is 1 cup Kosher salt to one gallon of water. I heat the salt and some of the water in a pan on the stove to get it dissolved. Get a container that will allow you to completely submerge the bird in brine, make enough brine to cover it and store in the refrigerator overnight. I've heard you shouldn't let it go more than 12 hours, and I've also heard up to 24 hours is okay.

You can add sugar or seasonings to the brine if you like. My neighbor adds apple juice.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks John T,

Is this process to make the turkey juicier, tenderer or stricly for flavoring? The reason I am asking is I have never heard of the brining process and am willing to give it a try.

Thanks again.

16. Back To Top    #16

Brining helps keep the turkey moist, and also adds to the flavor a bit. Google "brining turkey" and you'll find several articles and recipes.
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    Brining helps keep the turkey moist, and also adds to the flavor a bit. Google "brining turkey" and you'll find several articles and recipes.
    Thanks for your reply. I'll Google it.

18. Back To Top    #18

You will want a fresh turkey for brining. The frozen ones all ready are flavor enhanced.

19. Back To Top    #19

I've heard that to get the juices flowing in the turkey, you should spank it before you cook it. Does anyone do this? (Get your mind out of the gutter guys!!)
    Ummm..no, I've never spanked my turkey...and that felt incredibly dirty saying that.....
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

20. Back To Top    #20

Had Thanksgiving early. This is what the bird looked like when I pulled it off the Webber Bullet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast