Brown mess at opening... Newbie needing a little hand-holding

Hi Dave...
Thanks for your comments and support! I'll do my testing tomorrow morning to see where I'm at. I'm gathering it can't be any different than a few days ago. Should I get myself more ammo? How much more bleach will I need? I can get more of what I already got from Walmart, or get 12% gallon jugs (pack of 4) from BJs. What about 20 Mule Team Borax? Will my three bxs be enough? Should I consider using the pH UP instead? Or both? Do I have to worry about TA and CH right now?
As previous posts stated, my first action is to bring pH up, then bring CYA up to 30 for now... Then start slamming. Correct?
I'll post my test results, and recalculate my pool size/gallons tomorrow and hope for more advice. Will continue to check back and do more reading tonight.

Just checked my filter... Started at 18 psi, now at 21 psi... Within 2 hours. Instructions say to regenerate when the psi increase between 7-10 from precoat pressure, so I'm golden for now. Will keep checking for the next few hours. If I see that it keeps rising, should I shut it off and wait for morning, or regenerate and leave it on?

Forgot to ask a couple of other Q's...
Should it matter whether I put the flap door on the skimmer? I just put it on (hadn't been on for the past couple of hours) but wondering if I should leave it off. Seems like with it on, it will hold back large leaves from filling up skimmer basket.
My pump shows a little pocket/bubble of air. Still primed, but it was fully primed/filled when originally started. Just wondering if that's a sign for anything to be concerned, or normal for now. Could that of happened because I didn't have the flapper door on the skimmer?
I know, silly questions... But I need to understand the cause & effect of things if I'm to master a situation.
Things that make me go hmmm!:confused:

You get better water velocity with the skimmer door in place. A small air bubble in the basket is fine. Backwash your filter when the pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure.

This article should answer your questions about Recommended Pool Chemicals

And this is the process for SLAMing your pool, it has a list of prerequisites to do before you start. No need to worry about TA and CH until the pool is clear.

Okay... So here are my stats
FC - 0
CH - 100ppm
TA - 60ppm
CYA - 0
pH - 7.2
Seems that my pH has corrected itself??... All I did was add one gallon of bleach two days ago while waiting for parts to run the filter and pump.
My pool volume is 11,800 gallons. The specs on the pool say it's a 14,900 gallon pool, but I don't see how that's possible even if filled to capacity. Right now I'm about half way on skimmer. Will be adding more water while I'm using the leaf bagger, so I'll keep measuring volume.
So, based on previous info... I'm going to add stabilizer, hang in front of return, and start slamming process.
I have Pool Time chlorine stabilizer 5 lbs granules. Pool math says I need 47 oz. does that sound right? Should I still hang in a sock in front of return, or add into skimmer?
Based on instructions for shocking, I'm supposed to aim for FC of 4 with CYA of 30... But a shock FC of 12? A previous poster had said even though I have a SWG, I should use the non-SWG chart for starters.
I still have quite a bit of leaves to get up from the bottom, and plan to do that all day today. Should I hang the stabilizer now while I'm cleaning this stuff up? My filter psi has gone up from 18 to 22... So I'm going to regenerate and see what happens.

I set my sock in top of the skimmer. It is easier. You can squeeze ir every couple hours to help it disolve faster.

If you entered the 11,800 gallons and 0 CYA current and goal 30 CYA then the math is correct. Remember don't test CYA again for a week.

Yes, you go according to a CYA level of 30 for SLAM level target of 12 even though you have a SWG. Leave the SWG off for the SLAM.

- - - Updated - - -

Also looks like you should backwash and regenerate DE.

I've never done a backwash. Last year, I just took the whole cartridge out and cleaned it and precoated again. Wasn't concerned on the cost as DE is fairly cheap.
I just regenerated, so psi went down 2 points to about 20. Going to hang the stabilizer as you suggest in skimmer, and keep cleaning leaves off the bottom. I'm going to give myself an hour of leaf bagging, and then start the bleach.
Pool math says 210 oz. to go from 0 to 12 FC. That's less than 2 gallons? Is that all I'll need?
I should start with 1 jug (121 oz) and test with FAS/DPD every couple of hours to see effects?
Will keep checking back to see comments...

you got it to lower, so keep doing what you are doing.

Add the full recomended amount. It will be almost 2 full 121ozs jugs.

- - - Updated - - -

You can test as often as every hour but to save on reagent every 2-3 hours works.

Definitely scoop out everything from the pool, it will make the SLAM go faster and use less chlorine. Also, brush the walls and bottom a couple of times per day to knock the algae off, this will help expose the algae to the chlorine and kill the algae faster.

I don't know much about DE filters but here is an article about cleaning them from Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

I have added 210 oz of bleach, hung 47 oz. stabilizer split between 2 socks at skimmer and in front of return, still cleaning leaves out of pool... And it looks like it's getting better. It went from brown to light green. Will be regenerating the filter again, but noticed a leak at the junction of pump and filter. Maybe that's what's causing the increase in air bubble in my pump? Wrapped plastic wrap around fittings for now to help with air leak.
Did a FAS/DPD test... 3.5 FC, no CC
I take it that I want my 3.5 to go up to 12? Should I add more bleach now? Is there a max amount of bleach that I should not go over per hour? I'm gathering a jug more now, and then test again in an hour... Repeat until I get FC at 12?
Stabilizer has not completely dissolved, so I'll keep squeezing them here and there. What else should I be doing at this point?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
............., but noticed a leak at the junction of pump and filter. Maybe that's what's causing the increase in air bubble in my pump? Wrapped plastic wrap around fittings for now to help with air leak.

The water flows from the pump to the filter. Any leak there would be water coming out, not air going in. So that wouldn't be the cause of air getting to the pump.

.....Generally what's a good rule of thumb when deciding how much more bleach to add? Should I be really concerned if the FC goes above 12 by a bit?

If you look at PoolMath setup for your water volume you will see under "Suggested FC Levels" the shock level. You will also see a listing for "Mustard Algae Shock" level. It's OK to exceed the shock level slightly but you should keep it below the "Mustard Algae Shock" level.

Just tested again..
FC is 14.5
CC is 1
So is TC 15.5 ??
Not planning on adding any more bleach at this time. Storm is rolling in, and I'll just keep the pump and filter running. Stabilizer is almost completely dissolved. Plan to do a full cleaning of the filter cartridge and precoat again with DE sometime tomorrow. I'm sure it's caked up with algae and crud. Would rather have a fresh start. Going to go over the various articles on this site... It says that I'm done when my CC is 0.5 or less, etc... So how does the CC come down? I'll be looking that up as well.
Any other advice on what I should be anticipating to do/not do? Will probably do another full suite of tests tomorrow or the next day to see where I'm sitting.
Thanks again to the many on this forum for "holding my hand" through this process.
I have to admit... I was ready to drain the pool and start from scratch, but decided the only way I was going to master this was to actually go through the process. Glad I did. Taught me a lot!
Gratitude to the many!! Hope to pay it forward :cool:

It is so nice to see someone learn so fast and without complaint about needing to get the good kit! You are doing a great job so far.

How about taking some pics for us. The pics will also help you when it starts to clear. Take one of your steps. If you take one a day of the same place we can all see the progress.

Keep working on getting all of the junk out of the pool. The more you get out the faster your SLAM will go.

Kim

The pH rise you noticed is probably from Algae die off and subsequent CO2 release. It's a natural cycle in standing ponds algae die off in the afternoon and out gas CO2 increasing pH.
Your pool has had a few days of warming and sunlight plus a bottle of bleach to kill some other bugs.

Back to your SLAM which sounds as if it's progressing. Keep working at getting all the leaves and crud out, even vacuuming blindly with the tri-head and a panty hose in your skimmer to save on your DE filter. Just stop vacuuming if you hear the pump cavitating (boiling noise & bubbles in your pump basket)
All the organic material in the pool will zap your FC leaving you with minimal to kill the algae and pouring more $bleach$ in your pool
You need ~27oz of bleach to raise FC 1ppm based on your measurements (with 6% normal bleach)

image.jpg2_zpsiw3tfvyx.jpg

Hope I did the photo uploading right (URL above). One pic was at the start of slam, the second when FC was 7.5... And if you look at my earlier post, you'll see the swamp I started with. All that was missing was the alligator.
Will continue to upload as I make progress.
Thanks for all the continued support. What an awesome time we live in today when you can pick the brain of experienced people across distances to problem solve... all within minutes of asking. :lovetfp:

- - - Updated - - -

Let's see if this posts both pics...

It's been a couple of days since I've been able to attend to me pool. Aside from heavy rain on and off the past couple of days, I had to be away from my house for that time... So filter was off... And FC is at 0.5... So I'm attacking this again as if starting from scratch. This time, armed with much more knowledge. I wanted to pass by you guys what I've done so far to see what, if anything different, I should be doing.
Test results...
FC 0.5
CC 0
CH 100 ppm
TA 50
CYA 20
pH 6.8
Cl, Br .5, 1

I took the filter apart and cleaned the grid. The suction and return were weak... Probably too much dirt. It was caked with slime, and it almost looked like the DE didn't coat the grids or fell off! What I removed from inside bottom of the filter housing and grids, aside from what I back washed, filled a gallon sized bag. I've provided pics... maybe you can advise better.
I've dumped 121 oz. of bleach at 8.25%. I know I was told that I needed to correct the pH before doing that, but the last time I dumped bleach in there, it ended up correcting the pH. I know, I know... I didn't listen. Hopefully, it won't be too big a deal. Just wanted to get the water sanitizing again. Now that I'm able to be home, and have my pump and filter working properly... My focus is on getting this pool up to par without fail. We have another stormy day tomorrow but I plan to work through that no matter what. I'm adding some URLs for photos (hoping I'm doing this right through photobucket)... I've included a couple of my equipment set up since a few posters had asked that I upload them. I'll test the FC again in an hour or so and also see what the pH reads. I have three bxs of 20 Mule team borax on hand.
image.jpg2_zpsrgxixl1m.jpg Photo by bobcat291 | Photobucket
image.jpg1_zpslovic336.jpg Photo by bobcat291 | Photobucket
image.jpg3_zpsyoccnhua.jpg Photo by bobcat291 | Photobucket
image.jpg4_zps7hto4cee.jpg Photo by bobcat291 | Photobucket
image.jpg5_zpsungcfiz5.jpg Photo by bobcat291 | Photobucket

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.