Test trips vs readagent testing kits

May 23, 2015
Andrews, SC
This is my first pool & I have a Intex Ultra Frame 18'x48" AG pool (Setting up tomorrow) I did originally buy test strip for chemical checks. I know absolutely nothing about pool chemicals, their quantities, how to maintain levels etc. After browsing and studying TFP website Im more aware of the levels that are needed and how to calculate what to put in etc. Knowing this now and reading the forums I know the test strips will not work (ie CYA level is 'ok' for 50-100; in actuality it should be 30-50) I realized the test kiss are much better getting accurate readings to user in pool calculator to determine what chemicals to add and how much instead of a guesstimate. I researched different testing kits and the TF-100 is the best one I've come across. With all the extra readagent Oz & extra tests is worth the money I think..... my question is how long will the kit last before you have to buy refills????? I know it depends on how much you test.. this is a new pool so I'll be testing everyday for a couple weeks to get water balanced, then Regular maintenance and testing weekly.

Welcome to TFP!

I think the question everyone should ask with regard to the Recommended Test Kits is, How much $ will they save me from improperly dosing with chemicals, helping to avoid algae and the cost of eradicating it, and assisting in managing the overall water parameters so that my equipment and pool surface will last longer.

jelalli629 said:
I know the test strips will not work (ie CYA level is 'ok' for 50-100; in actuality it should be 30-50)
You hit the nail on the head as to what one of our biggest gripes is with multi-test strips - the ranges they give are not precise enough to manage your pool properly.

jelalli629 said:
how long will the kit last before you have to buy refills?????
Yes, it does depend on how often you test. But keep in mind that you do not need to test every parameter every day. Therefore, some reagents will run out sooner than others. The FAS-DPD chlorine test will be the one you go through fastest, followed (usually) by the pH reagent. So you will usually be purchasing refills for just one or two individual tests at a time.

The TF-100 comes with an 18 month freshness guarantee, which I find works out well with the typical refill cycle (note they usually do a spring refill special deal in March?) Of course there is variation from pool to pool, as well as how often you test, the important thing is to store the test kit in a climate controlled location, some of the reagents also have longer shelf life than others.

Ike

p.s. I disagree with Bo about the pH being second, but that is due to my pool having very stable pH which is likely due to a combination of being a vinyl liner pool, plus fill water and being indoors. I would say CYA is the second one you are likely to run out of, but again every pool is different.

There seems to always be a spring sale if you want to replace all reagents in the kit annually. With the sale price it's very affordable and insures you always have fresh reagents.

Since I only use the OTO chlorine and pH test on my daily test, FAS/DPD and TA weekly and CH, CYA only monthly, my reagents last a very long time. The reagent cost is really pretty negligible in relation to other pool costs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.