Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Are all CyA reagents mixed the same?

1. Back To Top    #1

Are all CyA reagents mixed the same?

The question is can one substitute different CyA reagents for the test, such as those made by Taylor, Rainbow, Pentair? I have both the Taylor small plastic bottle, and the Pentair tube, but the pool store only has the Rainbow reagent.

Any help would be appreciated.

Aloha.
    10,000 gal plaster pool,3/4 hp WhisperFlo pump, Sta-Rite Great White GW9500 pool cleaner, Hayward 300 lb Sand Filter
    Use Magenta Stuff for Iron and Silica control.
    Balance: pH 7.7 Cl 7 -8 Alk 70-80 CH 325 CyA 30 in winter - 50 in summer NaCl 1010 TDS 1200

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Are all CyA reagents mixed the same?

I think so, but let's wait to see what Waterbear or Dave have to say 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

I know that some of them are different. I had an old Blue Devil CYA test kit that used a different scale on the view tube.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Are Rainbow and Pentair the same company from looking at test kits for other chemicals on-line it seems they are, I could be mistaken?

Wait for Waterbear or Chemgeek, to view this post is a good idea.

Thank you to waste and JasonLion, for your replies.

Aloha.

PS. It is hot and humid here with Volcanic Vog blowing in from the big island of Hawaii's Kilauea volcanoe, as the trade winds have been very intermittent. Looks like the "Valley" outside LA in the summer and feels just as muggy, oh for a Georgia fall day. I'm jealous but at least it is hot enough to swim, well one cannot have everything.
    10,000 gal plaster pool,3/4 hp WhisperFlo pump, Sta-Rite Great White GW9500 pool cleaner, Hayward 300 lb Sand Filter
    Balance: pH 7.7 Cl 7 -8 Alk 70-80 CH 325 CyA 30 in winter - 50 in summer NaCl 1010 TDS 1200

5. Back To Top    #5

Rainbow or Rainbow/Lifeguard are Pentair brand names. Pentair seems to be phasing out or has phased out many of their brand names (Rainbow, Compool, Letro, American, PacFab, StaRite, etc.) and are now branding the same products with the Pentair name. As far as I can tell Penair and Taylor reagents are not interchangable for many of the tests.

6. Back To Top    #6

Waterbear,

Thank you for the reply.

Will use the rainbow kit as it seems easier to use.

Aloha.

7. Back To Top    #7

IMHO the Pentair/Rainbow kits are not as accurate or precise as the Taylor kits. They are just not in the same league.

8. Back To Top    #8

Waterbear,

Thank you, for your response.

I agree with you that Taylor test kits seem to be more accurate and for all other tests I have their test reagents or DPD.

So I will bear your comment in mind as regards the Rainbow CyA.

Aloha.

9. Back To Top    #9

Do your own experiment with the Rainbow and Taylor CYA test and see if the results are the same (or close) and you can make your own decision.