Question about Coping cuts

I wouldn't accept it. What he means by every other stone is if you look at your picture every other stone is a perfect rectangle (90 degree cuts). They only cut angles to make the coping round on every other piece. What they should do is have angle cuts on every piece of stone not every other one.

Ohhhhh. Now I get it. Thank you so much for explaining. Except for the askew joints and seams, I couldn't figure out why else it did not look right. Now, when the foreman or PB comes out to look at it, I have a better understanding to explain why I'm disappointed. It's just me - I hate these things. I wish I knew more about how things should be done on pool building, but I don't. That's why I hired a PB to look out for me. It's unsettling to depend on someone you don't know to do the right thing. They may, they may not. Thank you, thank you. Suz.

It's been a long day, back and forth between the PB, tile foreman, and tile guys. Finally, after our PB saw the spa coping, it was decided to do a tear off and redo. I think the way ya'll helped explain it made a huge difference. I also believe our PB knew it wasn't right. He was very nice about it. Thanks again - a huge thank you! Suz.

It's been a long day, back and forth between the PB, tile foreman, and tile guys. Finally, after our PB saw the spa coping, it was decided to do a tear off and redo. I think the way ya'll helped explain it made a huge difference. I also believe our PB knew it wasn't right. He was very nice about it. Thanks again - a huge thank you! Suz.

I am so happy for you it worked out. Personally I think if you are nice and gracious but don't accept poor craftsmanship eventually they will come around. I think some people really don't care so they probably get away with that level of workmanship on some pools. I see that in houses. When I sold my last house it sold insanely fast. I think it was because I didn't tolerate any poor craftsmanship at all. I was always on my builder on every aspect of the house. I did it for me but I think it really helped set my house apart from the other homes that were built by the builder in my neighborhood and then sold when complete. My new home has a lot of these small issues. Just cheap materials, poor visual astetics or bad craftsmanship. Well since I am anal I have been constantly making changes and fixing everything that bugs me.

The same goes for pools. If I was looking for a home with a pool the craftsmanship of the pool will stand out to me if I was buying. Some people are different and don't care as long as there is water in the back yard. I unfortunately am not that type of person. I am always looking at the details. I wish I was the other way.

The funny thing is today I was asking the builder about the wall thickness because it wasn't spelled out in the plans and he gave me the right answer of 12" but my wife pipes up and says "why didn't they put all those details in the plans to make you happy so you can sign it and have peace of mind". She knows me and keeps me humble by making me understand how ridiculous I can be. My wife is more laid back and trusts the builder and knows they will do the right thing. I am learning to not panic so fast and just wait until the builder comes out and then ask questions. This way they can catch their own mistakes and I can follow up with them to let them know what I am concerned about. I learned from my last panic attack!

I am so happy for you it worked out. Personally I think if you are nice and gracious but don't accept poor craftsmanship eventually they will come around. I think some people really don't care so they probably get away with that level of workmanship on some pools. I see that in houses. When I sold my last house it sold insanely fast. I think it was because I didn't tolerate any poor craftsmanship at all. I was always on my builder on every aspect of the house. I did it for me but I think it really helped set my house apart from the other homes that were built by the builder in my neighborhood and then sold when complete. My new home has a lot of these small issues. Just cheap materials, poor visual astetics or bad craftsmanship. Well since I am anal I have been constantly making changes and fixing everything that bugs me.

The same goes for pools. If I was looking for a home with a pool the craftsmanship of the pool will stand out to me if I was buying. Some people are different and don't care as long as there is water in the back yard. I unfortunately am not that type of person. I am always looking at the details. I wish I was the other way.

The funny thing is today I was asking the builder about the wall thickness because it wasn't spelled out in the plans and he gave me the right answer of 12" but my wife pipes up and says "why didn't they put all those details in the plans to make you happy so you can sign it and have peace of mind". She knows me and keeps me humble by making me understand how ridiculous I can be. My wife is more laid back and trusts the builder and knows they will do the right thing. I am learning to not panic so fast and just wait until the builder comes out and then ask questions. This way they can catch their own mistakes and I can follow up with them to let them know what I am concerned about. I learned from my last panic attack!

You've made so many wonderful comments in your post. They're great lessons or reminders for us all. I agree completely with you.

I like the part where you mention your wife helps to keep your concerns realistic and objective. That's very hard for me - that balance of getting the work we deserve without me having a coronary over it and maintaining an objective and non-b$&*#y demeanor or going too far and being poor helpless whiny woman. Such a tightrope. Some people come by it naturally, but not me.

You and your wife are a terrific team. You see to it that the work is quality and she keeps things calm and balanced! You can't beat that!!!!

I'm lucky to have a similar situation with my son. He teaches me so much everyday. He's very easy going, and people have to really cross a line for him to even get a little agitated. He saw the spa coping and said it wasn't great, but it was ok with him. But when I asked him if he would accept from himself that kind of work on one of his quilts, and he immediately said, "No way!" So the two of us are learning balance from each other.

Ya'll are going to have a wonderful pool and love it! My sons and I will, too. Now, all we have to do is help each other to hang on and make it to the end! Happy days are ahead! Enjoy your weekend, and thanks for all your support! Suz

I'm posting one of the photos I showed the tile guy and PB yesterday. I'm doing this in case someone out there isn't sure what a better job of spa coping looks like. This applies to a circular type spa where you're NOT using double bull-nosed stone (one piece of stone with bull-nosed edges on either side; very expensive). Another words, it takes two pieces of single side bull-nosed stone placed across from each other to have a bull-nose finish on the inside AND outside of the curves. You can see in the photo that the pieces are similarly shaped, and in this case the joints are all on point or match. I guess before my issue with my spa coping began, I just assumed all round spa bull-nosed coping would be done this same way. Wrong! Hope this helps someone out there! Take care. Suz.

spillway NOT as slanted.jpg

attachment.php

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THAT is how yours should look. I am so glad your PB did not give you too hard a time about fixing it. I would want to ask him he would use your spa as a "showcase" for his work. I wonder what his answer would be.

Love the old, wooden teeth saying. That does fit!

Kim

I'm posting one of the photos I showed the tile guy and PB yesterday. I'm doing this in case someone out there isn't sure what a better job of spa coping looks like. This applies to a circular type spa where you're not using double bull-nosed stone (very expensive). Another words, it takes two pieces of single bull-nosed stone placed across from each other to have a bull-nose finish on the inside AND outside of the curves. You can see in the photo that the pieces are similarly shaped, and in this case the joints are all on point or match. I guess before my issue with my spa coping began, I just assumed all round spa bull-nosed coping would be done this same way. Wrong! Hope this helps someone out there! Take care. Suz.

View attachment 36851

Thank you for this! We are having the double bull nose on a curve in our spa as well. This helps guide my expectations. *edit* Wife just reminded me we are doing something different. But still I learned something! *edit*

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The spa coping isn't finished. The tile guy still needs to finish each end. I'm not sure he knows how.... He is such a nice guy. Yesterday, I showed him the above picture, and he seemed pleased that it showed using 3 pieces to cap the ends - he was trying to use about 8 pieces.

It will all work out. Thanks for asking, and take care! Suz.

ITR: Thank you for your photo! That looks really nice. The tile guy just left, so I will show it to him tomorrow. I'll try to go out to check on things before he gets here in the morning - maybe take some pictures.

Your pool looks cool - I want to find your thread and see all of it! Take care. Suz.

ITR: Thank you for your photo! That looks really nice. The tile guy just left, so I will show it to him tomorrow. I'll try to go out to check on things before he gets here in the morning - maybe take some pictures.

Your pool looks cool - I want to find your thread and see all of it! Take care. Suz.

Thanks...let me help you out. More pictures are here: Pool Photos by Th33nforcer | Photobucket

I TR: I meant to get back to you sooner. Your pool is beautiful, and the water color is to die for! Thanks so much for posting the link to your pictures.

I'm envious of you guys in Florida with the pool screens or cages. We have 3 indoor kitties, and I would love it if they could enjoy a safe outdoor environment. We take them out on leashes in the backyard. They love that, but I'm used to cats having their freedom. Our HOA doesn't allow those structures. :roll:

Now to the updates. Our PB had the spa coping removed and new coping put on. It looks much better. I'm glad you guys encouraged me to say something, because I had 3 other curved places that would have also looked crummy.

To see the new pictures, you can click on my pool build link in my signature. Thanks so much for asking! Take care. Suz.

Wow. That is coming along great! Definitely better job this time on the coping. BTW, in the picture where they are laying the glass tile...does that guy have a micrometer out now that you have been so darn demanding? Just kidding. Glad it's going well...that is going to be one awesome looking pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.