Multiport still leaking after installing new spider gasket

mg170

May 19, 2015
Kosciusko, MS
I am having trouble with a Sta-Rite / Pentair 14971-TM-22-L top mounted 2 inch multiport.

I ordered and replaced the spider gasket (#10 on picture), because I had trouble doing a backwash, it let water back into the pool. After I received the new spider gasket and opened up the multi port, I noticed the gasket was broken just where it was supposed to seal the backwash and return to pool. While replacing it with the new one, I also noticed the old one was about twice a thick (in height) as the new one, the handle does not seem to lock with old gasket working ok with new. After I put everything back together, I ran the backwash cycle, everything worked and looked great, but after I put it back on Filter, I noticed some water going out on the waste line. I did not replace the spring (#7 on picture).

Recap:

• Old spider gasket, Filter cycle ok, Backwash not ok.
  • New Spider gasket, Backwash ok, Filter cycle not ok.
  • Old spider gasket twice a think as new one. Maybe due to use of a few years, it has swollen up?
  • Old gasket handle not locking, new gasket seems ok.
  • Spring not replaced, but even pushing down on handle in the middle not on the side still same problem.

Could the multiport have changed in size trough the years?
Is the spring the problem? It is slightly rusted and I remember it being much taller in the beginning (last year replaced).

Thank you already for your help.

MPTM.jpg

Chances are that the old gasket had swollen from use. Also if you used petroleum products to grease it, that will swell the material.

I'd open it back up and see if there's some trash in there as well as replacing the spring while you're in there. Also lube the gasket well with some pool lube.

Chances are that the old gasket had swollen from use. Also if you used petroleum products to grease it, that will swell the material.

I'd open it back up and see if there's some trash in there as well as replacing the spring while you're in there. Also lube the gasket well with some pool lube.

Thank you for the quick reply, I will try that and get back with the results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.