How to repair red brick coping tiles

wishman

Gold Supporter
Aug 29, 2014
Chalfont, PA
Hi All,

We just opened our pool today and tiles are falling off and red coping tiles are chipped. I already purchased pool putty epoxy for underwater tile repair. Can anyone recommend ways to fixed chipped coping tiles? They are the typical red bullnose. I've attached an image:

20150518_202024.jpg

Thanks,
Wishman

I would think you would have to find more tiles and chip out those and install the new ones. Although due to age, you would probably always be able to see the newer tiles.

Afraid I do not really have any ideas beyond that.

What it looks like to me is happening is that the pavers are shifting during the winter and where they push on the brick, they cause it to chip. The pavers should not have been installed directly up to the coping. There should have been a gap, usually 1/4" to a 1/2" where a foam backer rod is installed then special caulk goes on top of it. You will continue to have this problem if the decking (pavers) and coping remain in contact with one another. I'll leave it up to someone else to recommend how to create that joint now. I suppose you could pull up each paver and cut with a concrete saw then re-install.

As for how to fix the brick coping...tough one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.