pH while slamming

May 15, 2015
Warren, Ohio
I am in the process of slamming my pool for the first time. I'm working at keeping the FC at 16 right now ( based on a 43 CYA ) and I tested the pH just to see where it was at. It is well below 7.0 as it was a bright yellow. I had previously brought this up to 7.3 before beginning the slam. My question is if I should add some borax to correct the pH or what until the slam is complete? BTW the pool looks as if it is filled with blue milk.

The pH test is not reliable when chlorine is above 10ppm. Around here the SLAM process advises you to get the pH in line first, because later you can't get a true reading.

What are you using to SLAM with? Do you have a reputable test kit?

Welcome to TFP!

The next time the FC level is below 10, test and adjust the PH back to the 7.2 to 7.4 range.

What kind of chlorine are you using? The forms of chlorine that tend to lower the PH also tend to raise the CYA level very very quickly when used for slamming.

I began with HTH liquid chlorine but after 12 gallons the FC never got above 6 ( starting at 1.1 according to the pool store ). I am guessing that the chlorine was old so I went to the local Sam's Club and got 8.25% Clorox and have used that since last night. The Clorox has allowed me to keep the FC above 13 by testing/adding every 2 hours.

I'm using a Taylor K-2006 test kit.

I'm also a bit confused about calculating water volume. My pool is 24' round AG with 54" walls but the water level is 48" deep. Which depth should I use to calculate volume from, 54" or 48"? I've seen folks in the forums use both numbers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.