I did it!

It was only about 15 gals for complete conversion....we are at about 25 now as we are working on balancing levels with swg.
As for the goo.....I think skimming it off helped a bunch.....and you have to skim it like you would fat off gravy....or it just leaks through the skimmer holes....I had a tote that I skimmed it into...it sat for a few days and separated....water on bottom and goo on top. Hubby dumped the water and put goo in the trash. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was only about 15 gals for complete conversion....we are at about 25 now as we are working on balancing levels with swg.
As for the goo.....I think skimming it off helped a bunch.....and you have to skim it like you would fat off gravy....or it just leaks through the skimmer holes....I had a tote that I skimmed it into...it sat for a few days and separated....water on bottom and goo on top. Hubby dumped the water and put goo in the trash. Hope this helps!

Great. Thanks. My pool is about double your capacity, so it looks like I should go back to OSJL for some more shock. Thanks for the advice on disposal as well. I plan on starting the process this weekend and I am looking to have my ducks more or less in a row beforehand so I am not racing around trying to solve these issues on the fly at the last minute.

I was really scared about the time frame. Reading nightmare stories about conversion taking weeks. Ours was completely converted in less than 48 hrs.....I was very diligent with my testing every 1-2 hrs and maintaining that 15 ppm chlorine level. Also with goo removal on top and back washing of filter. You will know when conversion is complete bc there will be no more goo forming, then it's just cleanup. I did have skin contact with goo....no harm. I also (not sure why) expected it to smell, it didn't. My biggest curiosity, having a scientific background, was what exactly the chemical reaction was and what the precipitate was. I could not find it anywhere!!
Good luck, and like everyone says....you better post pictures!!

Thanks, you've been a huge help. I had very little goo. I assume it is in the sand. I just used my 30th jug of shock (18 gallons of 12.5% from Ocean State; 12 121oncers from Walmart and S&S at 8.25%). I hope I can pass my first OCLT tomorrow.

I saw another post where you said you were not holding chlorine with the SWG.. you were correct on thinking with a CYA level of 20/30 that its not high enough and you will need to supplement with liquid chlorine.

How high should the cya be? Swg instructions say 70-80. I was a bit afraid to go that high for fear that I'd have to drain. I think my biggest problem right now is that there is no salt , therefor the swg isn't making chlorine. I have been supplementing with bleach all along bc my chlorine tests have been nil. (Was very excited to find 96 oz bottles at Walmart for $1)

Add salt, brush it around and leave the pump on for 24 hours. Do not assume that salt is 0 to start, lots of things add salt to pools and there could easily be 400-600 ppm in the pool.

Definitely do not let chlorine drop to 0 or the pool will not be sanitized and algae will grow. Keep chlorine above minimum and at target at all times for your CYA level, Chlorine CYA Chart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.