Gunnite and the Rain

Mar 27, 2015
Pearland, Texas
It has been raining a fair bit here in Texas. We had enough clear days for the excavation and rebar. But the plumbing stub out and the inspection took longer than anticipated and the forecast for the last week has been rain, rain, rain.

To prevent the excavation from caving in, the gunfire guys came by and "flashed" the excavation. A thin (1/8) coat of gunnite.

We got a surprise call last night telling us that the gunner guys would be here in the morning to finish the job. They were nearly done when it started raining again in earnest. They quickly finished the job and tarped the whole pool.

The PB has always been upfront and knowledgeable, but I am more than a little nervous. Is there any hope of a good cure? Does anyone have any experience with rain during gunnite?

I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out how.

As long as they got it in prior to the rain you should be fine.
They don't want the rain while they are shooting cause it is effectively diluting the mix and making it impossible to hold form.
If the get it up and prevent it slumping before is sets up, rain is ok.
Curing actually required regular wetting down to ensure the gunite achieves it's optimum strength.
We were advised to hose it down several times a day for several days to do this,
Some PB setup a sprinkler in the pool on a timer to ensure this wet down during curing.

Send your rain to California...we need it!!!

I have several notes from our pool builder - one says we need to wet our gunite 4 times a day for 14 days...that is crazy. One says 3 times a day for 10, one says something else.

In reality I think we will do it a few times a day for a week or so. When I asked him why, he said that the worst case scenario is covered by the 4 times a day for 14 and that would be over 100 degree days and really dry which I don't think we will get where we are located.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.