Pentair 3/4 HP SuperFlo 2 Speed Pump

Hey all,

I currently have a Hayward 3/4 HP SuperPump. It was seized upon opening the pool this year, and now starting to hum, whine, and get incredibly hot while operating. It's to the point I no longer feel safe running it. I had the company that opens my pool service the pump to the tune of $100 to get it 'unseized', and they mentioned they replaced a seal as well - exactly what, I don't know. I'm wondering if my bearings are shot based on the sounds it is making and this was overlooked or ignored, or just bad luck having a second problem.

Long story short, I'm looking to get a new pump. The equipment pad is also about 10 feet from our bedroom window, so a 2 speed pump would be nice, but not critical. I've thought about this for a couple years and this seems to be as good of an excuse as any to switch.

The Pentair Superflo 3/4 HP pumps look the most appealing, both the single and 2 speed varieties, mostly because my electrical is setup as 115 volts. The pump is powered via an Intermatic timer.

I'm wondering about how the 2 speed pump switches from hi to low speed. Is it a switch directly on the pump itself? Will it be as simple as running the old electrical into the new pump, so that the Intermatic timer controls power... and then I can toggle hi and low RPM on the pump? I would almost certainly run it on low all the time.

On a separate note, I'm hoping that replacing the 3/4 Super Pump with the 3/4 Pentair is reasonable to assume that they will perform similarly in terms of flow rates, etc. The Pentair looks a bit easier to plumb in with unions which is pushing me towards it.

I really appreciate any help, especially if anyone who owns the 2 speed 3/4 pump can chime in about how it's wired or the RPMs are changed.

Thanks
matt

How is your pump doing running your spa? Is it a Super Pump or a Super II?

The 3/4 Superflo (like the Super Pump) is on the small size to support the typical flow requirements for a spa. I would think the 3/4 Whisperflo 2-speed (also 115V) might better support the spa jets

How is your pump doing running your spa? Is it a Super Pump or a Super II?

The 3/4 Superflo (like the Super Pump) is on the small size to support the typical flow requirements for a spa. I would think the 3/4 Whisperflo 2-speed (also 115V) might better support the spa jets

We have a separate 1 1/2 HP booster pump for spa jets. The 3/4 HP pump (SuperPump) circulates the water through the filter only.

All a bit of a moot point since the place I was going to order the 2 speed pump from actually had it mislabelled. It was a single speed 3/4 HP pump. So today I found a local pump specialty repair shop and am going to try and get it rebuilt/repaired first. I will look at the Whisperflo 2 speeds (I thought they were single speed) in case the repair attempt fails.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.