Has anyone made a 'Pool School' for PVC?

Fleck

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
As someone who's never done any PVC work, I wouldn't mind some how-to's or a fitting glossary on PVC fittings. I'm looking to add something inline to my hard piped waste outlet so I'll know if something's going wrong with the multiport valve and am not sure what the best route would be.

Originally, I was planning on adding a clear acrylic joiner (?) inline, but I'm thinking that would fade over time.

What do you need to know?
Cut the pipe straight and debur it.
Apply primer to fitting and pipe.
Apply solvent to fitting and pipe.
Slide them together (usually with a 1/4 twist or so).
Hold them together for a few seconds.

I figure out the angles by slightly putting the fitting on the pipe and getting things lined up, then put a line on the fitting and pipe so I know where to twist the fitting to since you only have a couple seconds before you will not be able to move the fitting.

If you have a horizontal pipe above the ground, you could put a Tee fitting in the line with a screw-in middle port facing down. Then leave the port open and watch for drips. And screw in the cap when you need to backwash.

you could put a Tee fitting in the line with a screw-in middle port facing down.

How would I best accomplish that without getting glue everywhere? I'm not sure how rigid the pipe will be to get the fitting in between. Or would I need two of those joiner fittings? I'm not sure there's enough of a horizontal run for all of that.

And I'm too proud of these numbers I just pulled to not share them :D
FC - 5
CC - 0
pH - 7.6
CH - 225
TA - 100
CYA - 50
@ 80F
Added 3 cups of bleach to bring me to 6ppm FC.

It's just so dang easy!!

Post a picture of your current plumbing.

Have you watched any Youtube videos (I assume there are some) of PVC work? Might clear up some things for you as your question about "glue everywhere" does not make much sense. No idea what you mean by joiner fitting either.

To add a Tee, you would just cut out a short length of the pipe and slip the fitting between and onto the pipe ... hope you have some wiggle room on the pipe though.

I'll add my two cents for PVC work. The hand held PVC cutters (look like oversized scissors) are worth the cost. Just make sure you buy the size big enough for your pipe. It's a whole,lot,easier cutting that way rather than using a hack saw that give you a jagged angled cut when you wanted a nice clean cut.

That odd thing on the return line looks like a compression fitting to seal a crack/leak ... odd, and not the normal way to fixing something.

For the pump valve, I would just use hard plumbing straight down from the skimmer and then turn 90 degrees and put a new valve in. You could put the valve anywhere you want in that suction line.

Use what is called a slip coupling to make that as easy as possible. Any plumbing department at a big box store will know what a slip coupling is. Nice numbers BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I want to redo the entire thing. Could anyone recommend a foam matting to put the pump on? It vibrates something fierce on that deck. Heck, I could move it to the side of the house next to the AC unit. The decking backs up to the slab. As long as there's no distance constraints?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.