Pool Pilot Digital DIG-220 basic help needed

Jun 18, 2010
Southern Alabama
I am new to SWG's and bought a house that had a Pool Pilot Digital DIG-220. It was a foreclosure so can't ask the owners.

I did download the manual but am confused on an important part.

I went through the installer menu and made sure everything was correct size of pool power setting etc.

In the manual it explains the purifier % setting and if it is to high or to low etc may need to change the cell power.

What I don't understand is manually moving the percentage up and down.
After you move it up or down it changes automatically anyways correct? (or at least mine does)

So what is the point of moving it manually if is adjusts itself anyways?
I understand you can use the boost button and that will give it 100% for a 24 hour period correct?

What am I missing on the purifier % and manually moving it up or down?

I am not 100% sure on this, but I think there are 2 power adjustments on that SWG.
One sets the "power range" I will call it and the % sets the output in that power range.

So say you can set the power to 1 or 2 or 3.
Then the % from 0-100% within each of the power settings. So 50% at power 2 would be less than 50% at power 3.
So, if you end up near 0 or 100% in one of the power ranges, you should change the power setting and readjust the % output.

Then again I could be completely wrong. The Pool Pilot is one of the higher end units that has more bells and whistles that I am familiar with.

I am not 100% sure on this, but I think there are 2 power adjustments on that SWG.
One sets the "power range" I will call it and the % sets the output in that power range.

So say you can set the power to 1 or 2 or 3.
Then the % from 0-100% within each of the power settings. So 50% at power 2 would be less than 50% at power 3.
So, if you end up near 0 or 100% in one of the power ranges, you should change the power setting and readjust the % output.

Then again I could be completely wrong. The Pool Pilot is one of the higher end units that has more bells and whistles that I am familiar with.

It does have the 3 cell power settings 1-2-3.
I think I understand the chart in the manual on how to adjust if the percentage is too high or to low. It says if the FC is higher or lower than normal then if the purifier % is less than 25% do the following a or b, if it is between 25-75% do this (or might be good) if it more than 75% do the following a or b etc..
I understand all that.

In the manual it says:
Purifier Mode
The Control Unit normally runs in the manually controlled purifier mode. In this mode the Pool Pilot will automatically display
informative messages about the condition of the chlorinator (Purifier Output %, time of day, water temperature, warning
messages, etc.) and requires manual adjustment of purifier % setting, as described on pg. 27. The Pool Pilot will revert to this
normal display if there is no activity on the keypad for 13 or more seconds.
Purifier % Start Up - the normal startup procedure is as follows:
1. Balance your water chemistry according to the water chemistry parameters. See Basic Water Chemistry on pgs 7 - 8.
2. Add the proper amount of salt as indicated by the Pool Pilot (or as described in Salt Level on pg. 6) and run the
circulation pump continuously for 24 hours for the salt to be fully mixed and dissolved into the pool. If the salt level is
too low, the Pool Pilot® Digital will warn you and will not generate purifier until the minimum salt level is reached.
3. Use the up and down arrow buttons to set the purifier % to 50% and allow the pool to operate normally.

But it will change from the 50% automatically.

What is the purpose to move it manually if it changes it automatically anyways.

I thought if the chemistry is all correct it automatically changes the purifier output as needed correct?

I know I still need to check the chemistry on a regular basis still.

There is no closed-loop feedback. The Pool Pilot does not KNOW the FC level in the pool.

I think it will automatically adjust the % up and down based on water temperature, but you have to get the % setting right in the first place to maintain adequate FC.

Again, speculation as I do not have one of these and have not read the manual.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.