New to Forum, But Not to Pool Problems...

I tested again about 9:30 last night. FC was 9.5, CC was still 0.5. Added 3 jugs of bleach. According to PoolMath, that would have raised my FC to about 19.1 ppm.

Checked at 7:30 this morning, FC was 18.5, CC 0.5.

We'll see what today's partly cloudy skies have done to my FC when I get home from work about 5:30...

You really need to test about an hour (with circulation) after you've added chlorine to do the OCLT. It looks like your loss is less than 1 ppm FC but the chlorine strength or your pool volume may not be exactly as you believe. At any rate, it looks like you are near or at the end of this procedure, but a real OCLT with testing both at night and in the morning will tell you for sure.

Okay, something's going on here...

When I finally got home yesterday (about 7:30...), my FC showed to be 10.0 ppm. PoolMath called for just over 1 jug of bleach to get to 14 ppm (my "just to be safe" shock level), so I added 2 jugs. That should have raised my FC by approximately 6.4 ppm.

I tested my water again at 8:45ish, and FC was up to 22.0 ppm. What?! Either my pool is half as big as I think it is, or my bleach was twice as strong as it should have been -- neither of which seems at all possible (remember, this is Great Value concentrated bleach from Walmart).

We got some pretty heavy rain last night (raised the water level in the pool by at least 1.5"), but I tested again this morning anyway. 18.0 ppm. I can't call that an OCLT due to the addition of rainwater.

The good news is that my FAS-DPD reagent refills should be in my mailbox today, so I'll have enough to continue testing twice a day...

I've been trying to get this pool to pass an OCLT since the last time I posted. Been adding a jug or two (whatever's required) once or twice a day (again, as required). Test an hour afterward, after the sun has set, then test again in the morning, before any direct sunlight hits the pool.

Still showing FC losses in the neighborhood of 2 ppm overnight.

Water is clear and sparkling (thought something was wrong the first time I saw the water sparkle... It's never been this clear!), CC is no more than 0.5, but usually at 0.0.

This evening it hit me. I come home every evening and skim off a layer of cottonwood "fluff" (can't post the terms I have for it...). I do the best I can, but can't ever get all of it out of the water.

Is the chlorine oxidizing the remaining cottonwood overnight, causing loss of FC? If so, it'll be another 2-4 WEEKS before my pool will pass an OCLT.

That could be, but if that is the case you wouldn't need to SLAM if the water is clear with no visible algae. Chlorine demand when the cause is known does not need a SLAM if the cause will be ongoing so that there is no point in trying to accelerate it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, I've decided that today will be the last day of my SLAM. But...

Last I checked (which was May 24, IIRC...), my CYA was 20 ppm. I'd like to be in the 30-40 range, and I'd like to use liquid. Any recommendations?

My local pool store specializes in BioGuard products. Looking at BioGuard's website, it seems the only stabilizer they offer is granular (Maintain/Stabilizer 100).

EDIT: I also still have all these trichlor pucks (which have been opened and definitely can't be returned). What say the TFP gurus about using those up, at least until I get my CYA up where I want it?

It'll take about 4 lbs of trichlor to bring your CYA level up by 10, and also bring your PH down by 1 (0.94 to be exact). So if you use the trichlor, be ready to counteract the drop in PH.

The granular CYA isn't to bad to deal with, and bringing up the CYA by 10 for your pool would require 2 lbs. They just take a while to dissolve.

I've used the liquid in my pool, and it's simpler to use. 1 gallon of that in my pool is equal to about 4 lbs of granules, and is dissolved in the water in about 30 seconds. It is more expensive, for me 4 lbs of granules is almost $20, one gallon of liquid CYA is $25.

Your pool store may have the liquid. Mine does and carries several brands. Mostly ProTech products at my store, and they have others. ProTech made the liquid CYA that I used.

Hope this helps :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.