How "clean" should my cartridge filters look?

doncaruana

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 25, 2011
Northville, Mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I've got 2 sets and had the pool for 3 seasons (bought the 2nd set after a year with the 1st set).

Even after I've cleaned them and watched what looks like a pound or two of gray junk get washed out of them, they stay gray. I just finished an overnight soak in TSP (1 cup/5 gallons) and rinsed them out and they're *still* gray.

Yet, they seemed to be doing fine last year and my pool was crystal clear all season.

Am I still not cleaning them enough? How can I tell if they need replacing?

Is it a good test to fire up the pump at full blast without them, get the pressure, then fire up the pump with them and see what the increase is?

BTW - sorry I'm a constant flurry of questions lately...did I mention I'm opening my pool myself for the first time? :)

Cartridges often turn gray or brown after a few years. It doesn't really mean anything.

The real test is watching what the clean cartridge filter pressure does. As long as that goes back to somewhere around what they were when new you are fine.

The extra set I got are pleatco. Pressure was the same with and without the filters at max speed on the pump so I figure the filters are fine.

Thanks guys!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.