Pool is green/yellow and silty but chemistry is great, time for new sand?

...What do you mean I may not have 0ppm CYA? You mean the testing strip is wrong or does it sometimes not show up?

You already identified the reason you're having problems. The number 1 concept taught on this site is to perform your own testing with a recommended test kit. The test strips you're using are not a test method. They are pretend testing. You probably have plenty of CYA already dissolved, but your test strips can't see it because,.........you're using test strips. If you want to solve your pool problems, it's absolutely mandatory to get one of the 2 test kits recommended by this site. Otherwise you'll be chasing this problem forever.

The Walmart stores in my area switched to Clorox branded products in the pool section. I needed to add a little CYA this year for the first time and I used the Clorox branded CYA. It dissolved very quickly. Very small powder rather than large granules. Here's what the package looks like... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Clorox-Pool-and-Spa-Chlorine-Stabilizer-4-lbs/41466055

+1 on the test kit.

You mentioned a "brand new kit" in one of your posts. Is it one of the TFP recommended kits?

It's going to be important for you to make sure you get accurate results so you know how to go forward.

:)

It was the k2006 beens. Lindsay, you're way better off purchasing the TF100. You'll get more product for your money.

And a little P.S. - You can't have green/yellow, silty water and chemically be fine. In fact fine, good, high and low are not numbers that we base TFPC off of. Something is not right and you'll find out quicker buy taking control of your pool by using a recommended test kit and following the guidelines in Pool School.

I had a terrible time dissolving the CYA I bought the first year we had our pool. It eventually would dissolve, but took a long time. When I needed to buy more, I bought the brand that Walmart sells, and what a difference. It seemed to melt away when placed in a sock in front of return. Like all things, there are good and bad products.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this issue! I'll definitely go with the WalMart brand, heading to the store today (and to buy about a million gallons of bleach :) Yeah the granules last time were pretty darn big so maybe that was the issue, definitely not small sand like more pebble-sized.

Thanks again for the great advice everyone, Hopefully next weekend I'll have a sparkling pool again :)

Just a reminder, before you start a SLAM, make sure you check and adjust your pH if necessary (according to the how to SLAM article in pool school) and double check to make sure you have enough testing supplies (fas/dpd) so you won't run out of drops or powder right in the middle of the SLAM!
You might need to get some refills on the way if you're running low!

*edit*

Only add enough Cya to bring you to 30 for the SLAM so you won't need a ton of Bleach to reach the right level. (that should be in the SLAM article too) , then you can adjust up after if you want/need a little more sun protection!

Before you buy a bunch of new CYA you should get the recommended test kit (sorry if I missed that you did that, all I saw was something about test strips). You may already have plenty of CYA in there, heck you might have too much. In that case your chlorine levels are too low and that would sure explain your algae problem.

Others can correct me if I am wrong, but the test proper kit is important and I didn't see that you had one yet.

Just a couple of days ago, I added CYA as mine was 0. Pour the recommended amount in a sock, and tie it with a string to where it is directly in front of the pool outlet. The flow of the water, will help dissolve it. Also, everytime I could, I would squeeze the sock. Within 1.5 days, it was all gone.... My CYA went from 0 to 45....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.