My SLAM is done!

Re: My SLAM readings so far.....

Everything is looking good but my last test this evening I had some CC after not having had any for several of the previous test. I did have to top up the pool a bit today. Could that have come from that?
Some municipal water systems use chloramines to prevent corrosion, so yes, it's possible. Even without SLAMming, I've noticed I may go a week showing .5 CC and then it disappears again for a week and then returns.

Pool is starting to look really clear now. OCLT this morning showed I has lost 4 PPM from the test last night so I'm not quite there yet but have a feeling I'm getting close. I lost 3.5 between test during today while we had some sun out.

One thing is for sure. From now on, I'm going to make dang certain my winter cover is on good and doesn't come loose. This year hasn't been near as bad as when I couldn't afford the test kit and had to do an almost total drain/refill but it still could have been better. Lot of leaves got in the pool. My goal for next year is to open a clean pool to start with!!:D

That is a great goal! I'm sure you have seen the easy troublefree open threads posted here. But, what you don't see is the thousands of people just humming along on autopilot loving their troublefree pools. We'll be here to help you close it.

Most people only let their pool get away from them one time. Maybe twice. And even if you do have some trouble after that for some reason you know exactly what to do to fix it.

OCLT shot back up to -6 PPM this morning but I think I may have screwed up my drop count last night. It was late and I was doing the test by flashlight because I had gotten involved in something and didn't realize it was getting dark. I had used pool calc to tell me how to get from 14.5 to 20 and added that amount of bleach but after letting it circulate awhile, last reading was 28! First test this morning was 22. Guess I'll wait till this evening to get a better handle on OCLT and not wait quite so late. Pool is looking really good though, nice and clear. Even though I see nothing on the walls, I just gave it a good brushing and vacuumed it. If I can get this OCLT figured out, I'll be golden. I just need to scrub the plastic ladder that I pulled out of it way back and then start thinking about the SWG. I know my salt is low and at some point I think I need to bump up the CYA a little higher than 40. Wife and kids are getting anxious because it's starting to warm up and I keep telling them, not yet, not yet.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Yep, realize it's got to come up. After I get a handle on this OCLT and make sure it's within parameters then I'll start letting the chlorine drift down and get a better handle on the water balance. PH was 7.5 before I started SLAM but I didn't test TA. I haven't tested salt either, just know that when I turned on my SWG that it indicates " Low Salt". That dang SWG was infested with ants in the control part of it! I could see them crawling through the LED display. I had to take it loose and take it all apart and annihilate all of them and then clean em out. Luckily I know a thing or two about electronics. I let all the bug spray dry out of it good and then sprayed some stuff to drive out moisture for good measure. It still works, at least in the control part. I'm hoping the low salt indicator doesn't mean the salt cell is gone though. It's two years old and Intex doesn't have the best track record for longevity.

Yes, definitely wait to raise CYA until the SLAM is finished. The ants are bad here too. All the rain flooded out their condos or something!

UGGGHHH!!! Just now realized that I got bitten by the Wally World "Easy Pour" bleach bug!!! Checked all my empty jugs and they are fine but the last one I picked up was the dang easy pour stuff. Think I've put about a half gallon of the stuff in, dang it! Oh well, I've still got the ladder to clean and scrub....guess I'll use it to do that. Hate that I got that stuff in my pool though. Guess I'll dilute it out eventually through water top ups and what not.

OK, the "Easy Pour" bleach debacle aside, I'm puzzled by my OCLT test. The past few day they have been as follows, 5/2 -4 PPM, 5/3 -2.5 PPM, 5/4 -6 PPM, 5/5 -4.5 PPM. I'm not understanding why they are jumping around. When I figured that -2.5 I thought I was very close. Pool is clear but I'm worried that I've got algae hiding somewhere. BTW, picked up a couple of gallons of Liquid Chlorine at Lowe's this morning. It was just easier to run in their and get that than it was to run in Wally World for bleach. Not terribly more expensive and the percentage is higher so you lose less. Plus, no more picking up "easy pour" because someone mixed it up on the shelf.

OK, the "Easy Pour" bleach debacle aside, I'm puzzled by my OCLT test. The past few day they have been as follows, 5/2 -4 PPM, 5/3 -2.5 PPM, 5/4 -6 PPM, 5/5 -4.5 PPM. I'm not understanding why they are jumping around. When I figured that -2.5 I thought I was very close. Pool is clear but I'm worried that I've got algae hiding somewhere. BTW, picked up a couple of gallons of Liquid Chlorine at Lowe's this morning. It was just easier to run in their and get that than it was to run in Wally World for bleach. Not terribly more expensive and the percentage is higher so you lose less. Plus, no more picking up "easy pour" because someone mixed it up on the shelf.
There is something hiding. Do you have a ladder in the pool? If so take it out and clean every nook and cranny with bleach water.
I know it is hard to have patience but that it wat it is going to take.

Also check date on liquid chlorine. Mine was last years stock so I changed to % to 6% instead of the 10%

Ladder is out and has been since I started. I've yet to clean it but it's nowhere near the water. Only thing I can think of is skimmer because it's designed to hold a cartridge and I don't use that part anymore with the sand filter. I guess I'll scrub out where the cartridge would be. I'm about to run out of the DAP/FAS test so I ordered more this morning.

And we are back to the -2.5 OCLT this morning. Here's hoping it doesn't spike back up like last time but heads down. Don't know how much longer I can keep the wife and kids out of pool. They see clear water and are already talking about a "pool party" this weekend.....

And we are back to the -2.5 OCLT this morning. Here's hoping it doesn't spike back up like last time but heads down. Don't know how much longer I can keep the wife and kids out of pool. They see clear water and are already talking about a "pool party" this weekend.....

You are very close! Keep at it and I bet by this weekend you will pass.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.