Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hi, cartridge filters when clean filter at approximately 20 microns. As they get dirty the filter down to a smaller micron. My concern is dead algae and very light dust that is 20 microns or smaller. Dead algae is under 20 microns. Always let a sand and cartridge filter get dirty as it becomes a better filter and will filter down to 10 microns using the dirt on the element to help filter. I recommend using a filter additive that will bring the smaller particles together and allow a clean filter to filter them out. I see this dust problem all the time in the desert (Palm Springs. ). Always wait until the pressure on the filter rises 8-10 lbs. before cleaning. Some people add a little DE to the filter to help but I am not a fan of this but many say it works.

I did not know this, and this would seem to explain a similar problem I was experiencing last year. It seemed that dead algae was simply bypassing the filter, yet detailed inspection showed no damage to the pleats, and it doesn't seem possible to close the filter housing if the cartridge is improperly seated. As I vacuumed my water would get extremely cloudy and I could see it was originating from the return. It is to the point where I am considering just scrapping the current filter and getting a new one in hopes that would solve the problem.

But a filter additive is something I might try. Or perhaps letting it get really dirty. Hard to keep track of the pressure because those cheap little gauges seems to only last a few weeks, and I have been unable to find a liquid version that will fit my filter housing.

What is this filter additive?

Re: Filter won't catch dirt

As for pressure gauges the ones with the filter and the ones you buy at the pool store never seem to last. I always search out a better gauge and pay the money.
Funny that you say that ... so why doesn't Hayward package a better glycerin filled gauge (with a more reasonable pressure range) with their filters? Make it a selling point. Could not cost them more than a few dollars more. ;)

Re: Filter won't catch dirt

I have not been able to find a glycerin filled gauge that fits. They are all too large.

Can you give me the name of the filter additive you refer to? I could not find with a google search.

Cellulose based filter media can be added to a cartridge filter to improve filtering. Usually this is not needed as cartridges are generally fine on their own, but if you are going to add something, use a cellulose product rather than DE. Some common cellulose media brand names (just what I remember, not specific recommendations) include FiberClear, Purifiber, and The Filter Fiber Stuff.

Jason - thanks, I may give that a shot because I was left totally baffled last year as to why dead algae seemed to bypass my cartridge filter.

pooldv - I have, and even ordered one last year but it was too large.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.