Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: no CYA as tested with TF test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

no CYA as tested with TF test kit

I tested my CYA today and my TFP test kit says I have no CYA. this is strange because I tested it a couple of times in the past 6 months or so and it said it was at like 40-60. I have had a lot of rain, but I don't drain the pool, I just let it evaporate so I don't screw up my cya and salt levels.

So my question is, can CYA just evaporate? Either the chemicals in my kit just went bad or I really have lost all CYA. I've been having problems with my salt generator producing some chlorine in the morning and then I test in the afternoon and the level is zero so its all pointing towards the stabilizer.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: no CYA as tested with TF test kit

Hi, Rob,

No other reports of the CYA reagent going bad......it's a pretty inert solution so I doubt much can go wrong with it.

You seem to have good knowledge of the testing methods so everything pretty much points to 0 CYA.

I woulod certainly get another solution based test (not strips) for comparison, tho.

I have no clue why the CYA would disappear in a clear pool.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

yea, I"m assuming the cya solution is good. I did have probably a little bit of algae in the pool, I tried to catch it pretty quick by adding chlorine. Could that cause it?

I"m testing a new type of salt generator/robotic cleaner and the the cell has some issues so my pool has gone down to no chlorine or very little chlorine a couple of times.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

See this thread for an option cya-from-60-to-0-ppm-t8686.html .
    11x27 in ground, vinyl pool
    ~12,500 gal
    PAC FAB (Pentair) Pinnacle 3/4 hp pump
    Pentair 24 sq ft DE filter
    One skimmer, one return (no main drain)